• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to get 576i out of PS3 for SD DVDs...?

Kevin4497

Established Member
Hi, as per Title, i am trying to get the PS3 to transmit SD DVDs in their native format without being deinterlaced first by the PS3. I'd rather leave that to my TV which will be much better equipped (i am satisfied with this point of view, and humbly request not to debate that point here).

I am currently connected via HDMI, which does not offer 576i as a valid setting.

Are there plans in future firmware upgrades to facilitate this?

I guess i could use component connection? How might that affect sound?

Regards, Kevin.

Tony Hoyle

Prominent Member
Many/most devices don't send 576i over HDMI.. most chipsets don't do it (I believe it was a late addition to the standard - DVI does not support 576i for example).

Presumably you're trying to send the output to a scaler - you should be able to fiddle with the EDID output to tell the PS3 it doesn't support 576p so it may default. This has been known to work with some other devices (eg. SkyHD)

As for TVs.. many don't support it as an input over HDMI anyway even if you could persuade the PS3 to send it. You could use the SCART connection instead I guess.

Of course for DVD I'm sure you realize it's pointless - the PS3 already handles 2:2 pulldown so it's producing a 100% perfect representation of the original image (speeded up 4%, as usual). For broadcast TV it's worth doing (and I suspect the question will come up a bit when the playtv becomes available, depending on how good the deinterlacer is on that software) but not for film sourced media.

Kevin4497

Established Member
Of course for DVD I'm sure you realize it's pointless - the PS3 already handles 2:2 pulldown so it's producing a 100% perfect representation of the original image (speeded up 4%, as usual).

Thanks for this Tony - i do indeed want to do this for SD DVDs because my TV has particular settings which only come into play when receining an interlaced image, hence wanting the PS3 to send 576i, and not 576p.

Has anybody else overcome this one?

Thanks anyway - Kevin.

Thanks for this Tony - i do indeed want to do this for SD DVDs because my TV has particular settings which only come into play when receining an interlaced image, hence wanting the PS3 to send 576i, and not 576p.

Has anybody else overcome this one?

Thanks anyway - Kevin.

You can force 1080i if that helps, or just turn upscaling off on the PS3, but I doubt that your TV actually has extra features for 576i, and I have read about your tv, and there is no mention of this.

nolive

Established Member
maybe he had a look at your signature then tried to find the specs/features of your TV on the Pionneer website or something(,and finally tried to answer your query:cool:

which is the aim of this forum right, help each other:lease:

as per your query, how do you want us poor AV forum users to tell if SONY is going to implement this 576i output in a future software update is beyond me:rolleyes:

I havent read or seen anything relevant so I would suggest as Pincho said, if you want to send interlaced signal to your Pioneer TV, then stick to the 1080i resolution and if you wan the whole upscaling process to be done by your receiver, then switch the upscaler on the PS3 entirely off

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom