1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get 5-1 from TV with Home cinema

Discussion in 'TVs' started by stevejknight, Jan 25, 2003.

1. stevejknight

stevejknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse my ignorance but can you help me with the following question.
    I f I buy a TV with 5-1 and all the speakers I can see that the speakers will/could be in use all the time as the TV is directly connected to the speakers.
    On the other hand if I buy a home cinema system, I connect to the TV via a Scart lead. I can see when playing a DVD that I would get 5-1 and the system would work but what happens when I just watch my cable stations. The input at this point is straight into the TV. How does the home cinema system pick up the audio signal?
    If I am channel 1 on the TV how can I route the signal through to the correct SCART output to the Home cinema system??
    I have a Sony KV32FX66 with 3 SCART sockets, DVD Video and AUX.
    Thanks for your time

2. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think your tv should have stereo phono output, look for a red and white phono output jack. Simply connect these two phonos to your amp.

3. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stereo Out from the Tv aint exactly 5.1

Lots of set-top-boxes (digital ones) have a digital output. either optical or coaxial, the 5.1 uses this.

If your cable box dosn't have a digital output ask your cable provider about it, see if you can get a different set-top-box.

enjoy.

4. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even if he does manage to get a digi box with a digital out he won't get true 5.1 except with sky+. The best you can hope for is connect either by stereo phono's or digital link and set your amp into DPII or Circle surround which granted is kind of 5.1 just not true 5.1.

Anyway my main point is you don't need a box with a digital connection, all you need is stereo phono's. The best way IMO to connect is to connect all your devices to the tv using scart leads then connect the tv to the amp using the stereo phono's usually found on the back of the tv, this way you don't have to keep switching the amp, just leave it set to unless watching a DVD. This applies to most devices except DVD and maybe a games console that can output DD5.1, these should be connected to the amp using a digital cable.