How to gain a bit of weight?

leo79

A bit of a random one but after giving up the booze for 3 months at the start of the year and then seriously cutting down on my drinking habits when I resumed drinking I've ended up loosing over a stone.
I've never been big anyway and I've checked the BMI calculator and everything is all in the green but I'm edging a bit close to being too skinny for my liking and occasionally get a few comments asking me if I'm OK.
So basically I'm 5'10" and currently 10st 2lb and my bmi is 20.3, I'm fairly fit but I don't do any weight/strength training.
I always used to hover around 11st 5lb and I realise that the weight loss is due to cutting out the amount of booze I was drinking but apart from gorging myself on food I wondered if anyone can recommend any supplements or particular foods for weight gain.
I've had a look but it all seems to be geared up for people who want to gain muscle mass but I don't want that.
Thanks

realfrankturner

Distinguished Member
If you're not strength training regularly then you're not gonna put on mass, it doesn't happen overnight, that's a long term plan, the simple answer is to just eat more, anything if you just wanna put on weight. Maybe drink extra pint or two of milk a day?

Stay away from supplements.

kBm

Distinguished Member
The key thing is to eat healthy, it will help in the long run.

I would load up on carbs. Pasta, potatoes, oats, bread etc.
Load up on protein - chicken, greek yogurt, eggs, fish etc.
Find calorie dense food like nuts - and lots of them. Plus healthy fats too.

Of course, take advantage of the fact you want to add extra calories in your diet - enjoy it! Nutella sandwich anyone? However, just bear in mind that hitting a 12 pack of doughnuts, or 2 big mac meals etc to gain weight will lead to other issues with after effects of eating loads of crap food.

I find eating more often but smaller amounts is better than 3 huge meals.
Another option is making smoothies, shakes etc. Load of calories in liquid form.
I've tried bulk powders/ mass gainers in the past- very handy as you can easily hit 500 plus calories in one drink. Stick with brand names like USN, Optimum Nutrition etc. Its not a nice feeling having a huge tub of 5kg bulk powder that taste like s**t, and you're only used one scoop...

mjn

Distinguished Member
Time to lift the weights. Work the largest muscles in the body.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom