How to force device to connect to specific router/AP when using the same SSID?

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a device that doesn’t behave well when connected to certain routers, it’s a known issue.

Currently I have a main router upstairs and a WiFi access point connected via Ethernet downstairs. They share the same SSID and password (different channel).

What I want is to have the device always connect to the router, even though the signal strength is lower. I have tried blacklising it’s MAC address in the AP, but if I do I assume it must just continue to try and connect to the AP as it never connects to the router then.

Is there anything I can do to get it to only connect to the router. Thanks.

Last edited:
Basically, there's nothing much you can do. It's the client device that decides which AP to Associate with. As you have discovered, some kit has the ability to blacklist certain client and refuse to admit them in the hope they will get bored and go somewhere else. But if the client does not, it could just keep retrying forever.

Most client devices lack features to favour a particular AP.

The only real option is to deploy a separate SSID for the use of that particular client homed on a specific AP. However, much SOHO kit lacks the facility to do such (ie they don't avail multiple SSID's.)

Thence, all you can really do is give all the AP's different SSID's which of course effects everything in that they cannot roam between AP's automatically.

Shelly 1 smart relays, have a few of them actually and they all have the same issues when using them with HomeKit.

If you were using Ubiquiti APs I’d say just create an additional separate 2.4g SSID for IOT as @mickev says. Cant really offer anything more than @mickevh. Sorry

Which router and AP ?

Crappy Vodafone Broadband, which all the ISP websites raved about, and reasonable-ish TP link extender in AP mode (re450).

I know what people are going to say, I just hoped I could find a cheap solution. But I concede, and I have been looking at new routers all morning. Needs to be good for gaming to.

Budget of about £300. What I need to know is do I - 1) get a good router with built in modem in, 2) router with modem and use my Vodafone one as a modem only, or 3) new modem and new router.

I think your cheapest of cheap solutions (and least hassle) would be to leave all your existing infrastructure as is, find the cheapest AP you can (they are as little as 20GBP) cable that to you VM router and give it a unique SSID.

Of course, that needs a "spare" ethernet port on your VM Hub and it's an "extra box." You'd also need to box a bit clever with the radio channel tuning, but that shouldn't be hard with only 3 AP's.

Alternatively, if you have any cabled infrastructure close to the "bandit" client devices, hang said extra AP on the end on that for better signalling conditions.

Or forego Wi-Fi altogether and cable it, but I'm presuming that isn't possible and it's got to be done Wi-Fi somehow.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom