1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to fix very bad s-video quality

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by d0z3y, Nov 8, 2003.

1. d0z3y

d0z3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I recently bought an RGB to s-video convertor from JS technology which I am using to connect an RGB output from my Pace digibox to my pc via a 5 year old hauppauge pci capture card. (bt848 base d I think).

I output from my pc via s-video on a Radeon 9500 and whilst composite output was good, there was a noticable lack of sharpness when compared to RGB fed directly to my TV. I was hoping that switching from a composite source to the pc to an RGB converted to S-Video source, I would see an improve in quality.

Unfortunately my picture is now significantly worse using the converted S-Video. I am not sure what approach to take in order to try and improve it. My options seem to be:
    1) Buy a newer capture card - TV100 or XCapture pbly.
    2) A software based solution - play with some settings, power strip???
    3) Switch back to composite and just be happy with it.

I am hoping that changing to a new capture card will make the difference, any thoughts?

Thanks
    d0z3y

2. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What about svid direct to TV, whats that like?

Dave

3. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I found the same problem when I recently bought from this forum an RGB to s-video convertor mark 2 by JS technology. Using my other Lektropaks RGB to s-vid converter the picture was superb going direct into Showshifter via the S-Vid (naturally) connection, but the output I get is very disappointing for such a raved about unit. The only way I can get it to look good now is running it via DScaler. But as you'll see in another thread of mine I can't get the Showshifter Dscaler option to give me any output. :(

4. d0z3y

d0z3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I plug the s-video directly into the tv the picture is much better (although the colours are greener).

d0z3y