How to fix this transportation damage? [Image]

SnowJim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a speaker that looks like this :

6cwDU.jpg

What is the best solution for this? My thought is this :

1. Grind it with a rough sandpaper so all cracks goes away, this will probably make the hole twice as big
  2. Grind it with a vary fine sandpaper
  3. Buy Plastic Padding and mix it with somekind of black paint pigment
  4. Try to apply the pianted plastic padding to the speaker case as even as possible
  5. Grind it with the vary fine sandpaper (if needed)
  6. Polish it

Is this the way to go, or is there a better way besides repaint the entire case?

Note : The speaker case color is black piano (real)

BestRegards

Last edited:
How rough do you mean by rough? I've never done this sort of thing with speakers but I have used micromesh and polishing compounds on other items before.

I used this place
http://www.abrasivesplus.com

Last edited:
Bad luck

- Where are de pieces that are missing on the corner?

Well.....before you try that method (more drastic one i think), you should try less intrusive ways like:
- Maybe you could try to glue the missing pieces back and them (after drying) try to fill the cracks with some sort of magic pen (used to fix car scratches) or just paint them with a black marker.

I think this approach is safer, and do not invalidate your method if the result don't please you.
You just need to make it invisible to other people's eyes......because it will never be perfect for your's (you just know that the bump is there, no matter how perfect the fixing is).

good luck
(and don't forget to post the results)

Bad luck

- Where are de pieces that are missing on the corner?

Well.....before you try that method (more drastic one i think), you should try less intrusive ways like:
- Maybe you could try to glue the missing pieces back and them (after drying) try to fill the cracks with some sort of magic pen (used to fix car scratches) or just paint them with a black marker.

I think this approach is safer, and do not invalidate your method if the result don't please you.
You just need to make it invisible to other people's eyes......because it will never be perfect for your's (you just know that the bump is there, no matter how perfect the fixing is).

good luck
(and don't forget to post the results)

The pieces is missing so no glue can be made. I know that it will always be visible when looking direcly on it, all I want is to fill the hole and get a even and nice surface in black.

Im not sure yet how to handle this, if there is no good way of handling this then I will try to return the speakers.

How rough do you mean by rough? I've never done this sort of thing with speakers but I have used micromesh and polishing compounds on other items before.

I used this place
+ CSM Abrasives Plus + Huge Selection of Abrasives and Woodworking equipment including Dewalt Power Tools

Im not sure yet how rough the sandpaper needs to be to remove the cracks but one thing is sure, If I want all cracks to go away I will have to grind alot, the hole will be twice the size probably (to remove cracks).

Its not easy to know if If I should return or keep.

Price on brand new is about $1 480 and the price I can get these(broken speakers) for is probably around $987 - $1 128. But then, there is some other miner defects as well.

In all honesty, if you can't put a claim in to the shipping company, then for the best possible repair, you need to strip the hardware and speakers from the cabinet and take it either to a cabinet re-finisher or an Auto Body repair shop. But I suspect because of the unique nature of the paint, they will have to refinish the entire cabinet. And sadly, it you want a perfect match between cabinets, you might have to refinish them both. Though refinishing the second undamaged cabinet will be much easier.

An alternative would be to touch up the spot with some paint, either spray or hand paint, just to fill the existing cracks and get everything the same color.

If you do try to sand it, yes, the resulting sanded spot is going to be much larger than the existing damage, and trying to accurately match the paint will not be easy. Though we assume Black is Black, you will find that various black paints have a hint of underlying color to them. Of the top of my head, I recall black paint that had a hint of a yellow reflection in just the right light.

Also matching the texture of the finish, even if it is smooth, if can be varying degrees of gloss, satin, or flat. Then, to get a truly smooth finish takes several coats with hand rubbing in between. The first coat of any paint, even when sprayed, takes on what is call an 'orange peel' texture. That has to be polished and rubbed out. Each successive coat come out smoother than the one before.

I've only done one high gloss wood working project, and I think I put on 6 coats of poly lacquer, hand rubbed with steel wool and rinsed with mineral spirits between each coat. The results were pretty good, but each coat can take a day or more. I think the whole refinishing project took about 2 weeks. And this was poly lacquer over wood stain, not over paint.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
In all honesty, if you can't put a claim in to the shipping company, then for the best possible repair, you need to strip the hardware and speakers from the cabinet and take it either to a cabinet re-finisher or an Auto Body repair shop. But I suspect because of the unique nature of the paint, they will have to refinish the entire cabinet. And sadly, it you want a perfect match between cabinets, you might have to refinish them both. Though refinishing the second undamaged cabinet will be much easier.

An alternative would be to touch up the spot with some paint, either spray or hand paint, just to fill the existing cracks and get everything the same color.

If you do try to sand it, yes, the resulting sanded spot is going to be much larger than the existing damage, and trying to accurately match the paint will not be easy. Though we assume Black is Black, you will find that various black paints have a hint of underlying color to them. Of the top of my head, I recall black paint that had a hint of a yellow reflection in just the right light.

Also matching the texture of the finish, even if it is smooth, if can be varying degrees of gloss, satin, or flat. Then, to get a truly smooth finish takes several coats with hand rubbing in between. The first coat of any paint, even when sprayed, takes on what is call an 'orange peel' texture. That has to be polished and rubbed out. Each successive coat come out smoother than the one before.

I've only done one high gloss wood working project, and I think I put on 6 coats of poly lacquer, hand rubbed with steel wool and rinsed with mineral spirits between each coat. The results were pretty good, but each coat can take a day or more. I think the whole refinishing project took about 2 weeks. And this was poly lacquer over wood stain, not over paint.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks, I know that piano finish is vary hard to acomplish so I will not even try and to send them away for this will cost alot. So 1. I fix it myself as good as it gets with black plastic padding putty 2. I switch them for a per of brand new.

Im now also a littel suspect against piano finish, it seems to be vary fragile, maby its better of getting a pair of speakers with another finish like regular painting(mate) or fanér.

Try look for some fiber glass repair kits that's should do the job no probs i used to use them to repair fiber glass housings.

I would not try and get rid of the cracks but just fill them in with paint such as T Cut,a car body repair pack from Halfords might work too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom