• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question How to fix static through Marantz pm 6005 headphone jack...

daveouteast

Novice Member
Apologies if this is one of those things that everyone knows the answer to, but here goes all the same:

So, I hooked up my iphone 6S to my new Marantz PM 6005 amp using an RCA 3.5 adapter, but when I listen through the headphone jack, I get static (if that's the right word?) on piano tracks--specifically, I noticed it while playing Debussy's "Clair de Lune." The static doesn't happen on all songs--just the various piano tracks and classical music that I've tried. I've tried different cords, and the results are the same.

I've read elsewhere that a good set of headphones will sometimes prove challenging for the headphone jack on some amps. Unfortunately, my speakers haven't arrived yet--the Dali factory is still on its summer break--so I can't tell if this problem is just with the headphone jack, or with all outputs.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if the amp itself is defective and should be returned, or if it's just one of those things that happens sometimes through an amp's headphone jack, in which case I won't sweat it.

Anyone else experience this? I'm new to the world of audio, so any thoughts would be most appreciated.

muljao

You could spray electronic contact cleaner into the jack plug. I'd actually say it's a bad connect though. Could you try a different set of headphones or indeed a different 3.5 to 6mm adapter if indeed you use one. Reason i say this is because I had similar issue through speakers on piano track and it was a bad connection

daveouteast

Novice Member
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll try the electronic contact cleaner, and I'll also see if I can't track down another adapter. It would be great if either of those resolved the issue. I suspect the amp itself is fine, but there's definitely something tripping it up. In any case, it's good to know I'm not the only one to experience this issue.

I'll let you know all it goes!

daveouteast

Novice Member
It turns out that the volume was too high on my iphone, so I guess that was causing the static on that particular track. Still not sure why it would affect piano music in particular, but problem solved all the same : )

P.S. if anyone out there knows the physics that explain why piano music would cause this, I'd love to hear about it.

muljao

Ooops never thought of that. I was way off on this one :(
At least its sorted now, good stuff

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom