1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to fit LMP projector mount???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by mince bigalow, Mar 16, 2005.

1. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, I just got myself an LMP mount for my Sanyo Z2 and after fitting the pj to the mount have alised together they weigh a ton!

my problem is that in my flat I have plasterboard ceilings and metal struts. I dont reckon the plasterboard will hold the weight, and I'm not sure if/how I could use the struts.

I really need to get my pj mounted soon so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

cheers

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    If you can find the joists in the ceiling, you could screw some 12mm or 18mm MDF to two joists so that it's fixed to the ceiling solidly. Paint it the same colour as the ceiling so it blends in and doesn't look obtrusive (maybe even router the edge to make it smoother looking).

You can now fix the pj mount to the MDF knowing you have a good fixing. The ceiling may be 9.5 or 12mm plaster board, so if the screws are longer than the MDF, they will just pierce the plaster without causing any damage.

Gary.

3. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary, thanks for your help.

So you're saying there is some way I can screw into the metal joists? If so how should I go about doing it? I think there is a joist just above where I want to mount the projector so could I just screw the mount into that through the plasterboard?

What type of screws or drill bits should I use?

Thanks for your help.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Depending on the joists, you will need a drill bit for metal, and a tap to thread the joist - M8 should be a good choice. I assume they're large metal joists like RSJs?

If the mount can fix entirely to a metal joist, then that should work too. You might need smaller screws to go through the mount though. They'll have to be a reasonable length as the screws will have to go through the mounting and the ceiling before going into the thread, so you need to make sure you have enough of the screw in the joist for it to be secure.

When deciding on the right size screws (M6, M8 etc), you will need the correct drill size for the tap you will use, and it may be an unusual size.

Practice on some scrap metal if you've not threaded anything before though.

Gary.

5. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi gary, thanks for your help.

So you're saying that I can get a metal drill bit, a tap and somesuitable length screws and can drill through the plasteroard, into the metal, then thread it and screw the mount in? Would I be able to do this without having to cut a big chunk out of the plasterboard?

Also I'm not sure what the joists are I'm afraid. It looks like they're supporting the floor above me, is it OK to drill a couple of holes in it without risking the structure of the block? They're about 6" wide if that helps?

Cheers

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    I assumed the metal struts you mentioned were joists, which is why I suggested you could try screwing into them. What are the struts if not joists? If you have wooden joists, that would be easier still - just scre straight through the plasterboard and into the joist.

You should be able to drill/screw through the plasterboard without making big holes in it - my ceiling has lots of small holes caused by me screwing into it, and they tidy up with a small splodge of paint afterwards if they're no longer used. Screwing into wooden or metal joists makes little impact in their structural integrity so it's nothing to worry about.

If you've not done something like this before, I'd try and find someone who has so thay can see first hand what your ceiling is attached to and make fixings accordingly.

An easy method to test the strength would be to drill some holes in the plasterboard ceiling, squirt in some 'no more nails' and push in some rawlplugs. When they've set, screw a weight to them (equivalent of the pj and mount) so it's hanging from the plugs/screws and see how it feels. You could hang the weight from it by string so that the weight is near the floor, and if anything should give way, it won't have far to travel and won't pull the ceiling much (have the weight hang about an inch from the floor).

Gary.

7. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    what u need are some buttefly fixings about £2 for 4 from wickes, i have 2 of these holding up my screen onto a plasterboard ceiling and the screen is a lot heavier than my projector