Question How to fit a TV in this space

RedAlert

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am moving soon and this is my new living room (renting)
100624_28457732_IMG_02_0000.jpg

The shelf on the right has a hidden hole in the bottom for cables and plug sockets etc perfect for a TV but due to the space size I can only fit a 32inch TV in there and they don't look to be that good spec wise compared to 43inch models (unless I'm wrong)
Is there a better solution to getting a decent TV in this space without running cables everywhere? (cant move sofa because room is too small)

Maybe a clamp like Monitor arm that I can swing out? If such a thing exist for a 43inch TV

What are the dimensions of the gaps in the furniture? W-H-D?

32" models aren't too behind 43" models in overall quality, manufacturers don't make more than bottom of the range models at both these sizes.

It is not until you reach 49/50" that you get to the mid range.

You can get a mount that pulls out and downwards to put above the fireplace if you are allowed to drill holes, the mount needs to be attached to a solid wall though...although it wouldn't be a good option if you wanted to use the fire whilst also using the TV and having it in the downward position.

Last thing I can think of is just using a floor stand for a TV and placing it in front of the right hand side cabinet overlapping the window slightly too, this should allow a bigger TV to fit.

In the days of UHD, really you want as big as you can get to get the most from a TV now. For regular TV though a 32" model is fine.

Space is 80 or so cm. But it does seem more likely that a floor stand that is quite small is the best choice.

Thanks for your advice

Space is 80 or so cm. But it does seem more likely that a floor stand that is quite small is the best choice.

Thanks for your advice

Take the mirror away and mount it above the fireplace, problem solved but if you use the fire as Dodge has said it might be a problem with heat and soot most likely destroying it over time.

You could build a custom corner unit that faces towards the sofa from near the window.

The fireplace wont be used so that is not an issue.
The TV I have currently is a 50" plasma so weighs about 29kg. Which makes me feel uneasy about mounting it on the wall.
I will have to investigate wall mounting with my new landlord and see what they say.

Small unit is the lowest cost/easiest option but not very aesthetically pleasing.

You could get a low level stand to sit in front of the fireplace? I’ll try find an example

The TV I have currently is a 50" plasma so weighs about 29kg.

A 55" will only weigh about 10kg - 15kg maximum, but you will most likely need two people to mount it on the wall.

The only problem I could see if drilling into the main pipe beyond the wall, which could pose issues.

Thank you all for your input. I have been very busy and without internet the past few days moving in.

Old 50inch plasma is now gone and the space had been measured for allowing a max 104cm wide TV. Which I think opens up the option of 43inch models.

I have looked at the best value TV thread and a VA panel will suit me fine as the sofa is directly in front of where the TV will go. So I have been looking at getting a hisense 6xxx model but richer sounds seem sold out and the next option with decent warranty is John Lewis and they have the 6500 model for £400.

Is this the best option or are there some 1080p models worth considering maybe?

Is this the best option or are there some 1080p models worth considering maybe?
Its the best option, the higher end Hisense A series models have a more premium metal finish but the same picture quality.

The other options are bleak:

Philips 6 series - It should be a VA panel but not 100%. No better than the Hisense A series and usually costs more.
Samsung 7 series - You could get a IPS type or VA type panel, no sure way to know until you get the TV. - If you go with this option be sure you can return the TV if you are unhappy.
FHD options - Most FHD TVs are using IPS type panels at 43" but they will have marginally better scaling, not a deal-breaker though when the TV is already so small.
Outside option (but expensive) Sony XF85/87 series - the highest spec TV for motion, but sadly using an IPS type panel.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom