How-To Firmware Downgrade on Samsung D-Series Plasma

Soopermario

It's finally here. After many months without having the possibility to downgrade the D-series plasma's from Samsung this is now possible. In cooperation with "SamyGo" we have succeeded for the devices with MStar-chipset to get away from the bad 1019 firmware. In the 1019 a bug has crept in, which has been reduced the Brightness drastically.
Of course all the other D-Series owners can use this downgrade for any other reason.
The procedure differs whether you have an MStar-based device (PSxxD6xxx, PSxxD7xxx) or an ARM-based device (PSxxD8xxx).

Neither I nor SamyGO will be liable for any damage on your TV-set's. You do it all at your own risk and you should be aware that you can brick your set!

If someone has a TV-Set of the D-Series that is not mentioned here, can look at samygo if there's a downgrade option for it:
SamyGO • View topic - Firmware Downgrade D-Series (SamyGO Proof of Concept)

How-To: downgrade and re-upgrade D-series plasma from Samsung

A: PSxxD6xxx and PSxxD7xxx

I Downgrade:

1. Go to network settings of the TV and manually assign an IP address (making it easier later to access the TV, remember that IP address assigned)
  2. Then, as DNS server enter ([-]46.4.199.222[/-]), exit the menu and switch the TV off and on again. (It is only necessary that the TV shows a connection to the router, not being able to establish an Internet connection is normal)
  3. Go to "software update" and choose "online", it will be found and downloaded a version 1090.
  4. You will be asked whether to install the update now or later, or not at all. Select "Update now". The TV will turn off and begin the update. This may take a while, so be patient and wait until it has finished, never disconnect the power, then you once had a television-set.
  5. If the TV is finished, go to "contact Samsung" and verify that there now the 1009 version is displayed. If yes, then you have successfully performed the downgrade.
  6. Change the DNS-Server in the network settings back to normal. If you do not, the TV has no internet connection and you are also banned from SamyGo server after 2 days.
  7. Then go to software update again, you will find that there's not the 1009 but the fake version 1090 appears. You can now no more install a new firmware, unless you continue reading.

II reactivate upgrade:

1. Follow the instructions in the samygo-wiki how you get root access on the TV, through point 5:
    Root access for D series Mstar cpu models - SamyGO
  2. If SamyGO is running then first click away the virtual USB stick, we don't need it here.
  3. Go via FTP to "ftp://ip_address_off_your_TV/mtd_rwarea (for Windows simply use the Explorer)
  4. Go to the file "version.0" or "version.1", only one of them will exist. They rotate on every update.
  5. Make a backup of the file on your local PC.
  6. Go to the local copy of the file and make another copy and open one of the files. (the copies are for saftey reasons)
  7. Change the number in the middle that represents the version number to "1009" and save the changes.
  8. Copy the changed file back to the TV and replace the original file. Of course in the same folder as before "mtd_rwarea".
  9. Exit Smarthub and turn the TV off and on again.
  10. Go to the software update and check if there is now the 1009 version number, if so, you were successfull.
  11. Now you can install all firmwares newer than 1009 via USB.

B: PSxxD8xxx

1. Go to network settings and as DNS server enter ([-]46.4.199.222[/-]), exit the menu and switch the TV off and on again. (It is only necessary that the TV shows a connection to the router, not being able to establish an Internet connection is normal)
  2. Go to "software update" and choose "online", it will be found and downloaded a version 1090 or 1091.
  3. You will be asked whether to install the update now or later, or not at all. Select "Update now". The TV will turn off and begin the update. This may take a while, so be patient and wait until it has finished, never disconnect the power, then you once had a television-set.
  4. If the TV is finished, go to "contact Samsung" and verify that there now the 1015 version is displayed. If yes, then you have successfully performed the downgrade.
  5. Change the DNS-Server in the network settings back to normal. If you do not, the TV has no internet connection and you are also banned from SamyGo server after 2 days.
  6. Then you go to software update again, you will see also the 1015 version here.
  7. Now you can install all firmwares newer than 1015 via USB.

Have Fun!

Edit:

Downloadlinks for D6XXX and D7XXX Plasmas:

FW-Links

Edit 2:

[-]For D5XX-Series you can downgrade by this method. But it seems that then you can't upgrade again because you don't have smartTV and can't get root access.
So to downgrade 5 series follow this SamyGO • View topic - T-MST4DEUC 0000 Firmware
There you will find an 0000-engineer-firmware. But to upgrade you have to use ruSamsungTVCommunicator to reset eeprom.[/-]
Still possible to use 0000-firmware, but not needed.

Edit 3:

It is now confirmed that D5-users can stick to DNS-downgrade option. After downgrading you just need to do a factory reset (either in Service Menu or pressing Exit-button for 15 sec.) to replace the 1090 version string with the original. Then you will be able to update again.

Edit 4:

The factory reset method also works for Mstar Models D6xxx, D7xxx, and as well for D8xxx. But you will lose your settings. If you want to keep your settings you have to use step 2 of this guide. Also D8xxx users can use step 2 if you got stuck on the 1090 version and don't want to lose your settings.

Edit 5:

The DNS-Server on samygo changed, it will maybe change again in the future. To check the actual DNS look here samygo thread for firmware downgrade

Last edited:

Soopermario

You're welcome. Normaly an update don't change settings in Service Menu you did by hand. So before downgrading you should (not must) change the ADC-Result values back to standard of 134/49. An HDMI-Calibration is not necessary.
But a picture calibration should be done after you got the normal brightness back.

Soopermario

Hello again dog, the Logicboard-Update you are meaning will not be reverted back. The Logicboard Software will only be changed if a newer version is in a new firmware.

Soopermario

If someone has old firmware versions, please let me know!

djmattsims

Fook it I'm giving it a go.

The missus is going out shortly so will have a bit of piece and quiet to give it a whirl.

Will report back.

Wish me luck.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
djmattsims said:

The missus is going out shortly so will have a bit of piece and quiet to give it a whirl.

Will report back.

Wish me luck.

Good luck.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member

Will report back.

Wish me luck.
fingers crossed mate good luck:smashin:

Soopermario

I've got a copy of 1015. Its 58mb....where can I host it?

Would love a copy of 1016.

The 1015 I already have. No need to upload it. I will add downloadlinks for the firmware's I have in the firt post soon.

@scooby:
You don't need to change voltages again. Just do the downgrade.

djmattsims

OK, downgraded to "1090" but got a slight problem at the reactivation stage.

You say to make a copy of the file 'version.1' and open it.....well I cant open it as its asking what program should be used to open a .1 file?!

So at the moment I cant get in to change the firmware version to 1009.

djmattsims

Got it sorted.

I opened the version.1 file with wordpad and changed 1090 to 1009.

Went back into the menu of the TV and it is showing the firmware version as 1009.

Excellent! The picture is a lot more vibrant now on 1009....colours are amazing.

Will stick with this for a while before deciding whether to install 1015.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
Got it sorted.

I opened the version.1 file with wordpad and changed 1090 to 1009.

Went back into the menu of the TV and it is showing the firmware version as 1009.

Excellent! The picture is a lot more vibrant now on 1009....colours are amazing.

Will stick with this for a while before deciding whether to install 1015.
:thumbsup:

djmattsims

One last question...

You mentioned having to change the DNS server back otherwise I will get banned from the SamyGO server.......

Do i have to change it back in the 'develop' mode in the Smarthub?

markymiles

Distinguished Member
Half way through now, very excited to get it back to its former glory. I didn't read right through and didn't change the 130/73 ADC/WB back.

Will there now be problems, will I still need to do it?

Thanks in advance

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
The 1015 I already have. No need to upload it. I will add downloadlinks for the firmware's I have in the firt post soon.

@scooby:
You don't need to change voltages again. Just do the downgrade.

Cheers, was just thinking if the way the sets driven I may need to tweak the voltage again.:-/.....think I'll sit this one out for a bit not got time at the no, would keep an eye on here though.

Mod hat on.... Please if reading this thread or any other where unofficial changes are being made, don't attempt with your own set unless sure, if you mess your set up its your fault for doing something you shouldn't. Its all at your own risk.:lesson:

djmattsims

Half way through now, very excited to get it back to its former glory. I didn't read right through and didn't change the 130/73 ADC/WB back.

Thanks in advance

I'm still on 130/73 after doing the ADC tweak.

Now that I have downgraded the firmware to 1009 I will probably go and change the values back to 134/49 and Soopermario did recommend that but at the same time didnt say it was 100% necessary.

chopples

Distinguished Member
Thanks for posting this :smashin:

Long story short, I was rocking along quite happily with firmware 1016 and fbr fix. Unfortunatley my tv developed a fault (magenta patches all over the place on a white scenes)

tv was repaired, they replaced both mainboard and panel. tv came back with 1019 and was very dull

tried adc/wb and whilst it helped it didnt look quite right.

Seen this thread last night and immediatley downgraded, I had read about downgrading but didnt think it was available for our set.

also reapplied fbr fix to logic board and I have to say I am very happy again with the tv colours seem to have alot more punch

hopefully someone will have 1016 on there computer somewhere:)

kids watching tinkerbell, looks really good, pic doesnt do it justice:thumbsup:

Attachments

• photoCAJYUZC2.jpg
    photoCAJYUZC2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 610

djmattsims

What are your ADC values? Did you change them back?

I have changed them back to 134/49 and its taken the edge off the picture slightly.

Not sure whether to change them back to 130/79?!

Soopermario

You say to make a copy of the file 'version.1' and open it.....well I cant open it as its asking what program should be used to open a .1 file?!

Just use the Editor :hiya:

With ADC-Tweak on after downgrade your set will still be brighter than normal. If you like this leave ADC-tweak on. If you find something wrong with the picture turn it back to 134/49.
Even with a proper firmware the TV will not use its maximum brightness.
I meassured with PS3 that the TV using it's maximum brightness only for superwhite-range. But there is no material that uses superwhite. Even if you turn on superwhite option in PS3 you only have the maximum brightness with test-images or test-videoclips.
With ADC-Tweak on the TV uses the normaly not used superwhite-range for normal material.

also reapplied fbr fix to logic board and I have to say I am very happy again with the tv colours seem to have alot more punch
Normaly you don't need to reapply this. Are you sure the logicboard software was downgraded too?

chopples

Distinguished Member
What are your ADC values? Did you change them back?

I have changed them back to 134/49 and its taken the edge off the picture slightly.

Not sure whether to change them back to 130/79?!

Hi Mate

I have changed them back to 134/49. In my excitement initially forgot the adc and downgraded, as you know as soon as you hit the service menu the pic defaults back to dynamic, the whole bloomin room lit up, it was that bright!:D it was to much for me, eve when set to movie mode. seemed to effect the detail (pic was more noisy maybe?)

Not sure what my exact values where at 1019 as it was calibrated using the slide, it was 130something 70something though. Its hard to explain but whilst the pic brightened up with the tweak it still seemed to lack punch (as opposed to being on 1016 with default adc)

Only downside so far is the tv seems to buzz a bit more than when i was on 1019. But it did buzz before it went of for repair so this isnt a problem for me

cheers

chopples

Distinguished Member
Normaly you don't need to reapply this. Are you sure the logicboard software was downgraded too?

Hi Mate

logic board was not downgraded, tv came back from repair with a new logic board running an old firmware

as the tv came back from repair with 1019 already on it I did not bother to apply the fbr fix

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Melco update improves N10, N100 and N1 EX digital libraries
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Loewe launches We.See TVs under new 'We. by Loewe' sub-brand
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 1st December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Rumour: Samsung even closer to OLED TVs in 2022?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-SQ1TW true wireless earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom