How to find the right TAX code your suppose to be on

meansizzler

Ex Member
Reaction score
Simple question , was wondering how do you find the right tax code your suppose to be on, not the tax code your currently on

Unless you are 65+ or blind (or indeed both) it should be 647L. Meaning you have a personal allowance of £6,475 i.e. you dont pay tax on earnings less than this amount.

Unless you are 65+ or blind (or indeed both) it should be 647L. Meaning you have a personal allowance of £6,475 i.e. you dont pay tax on earnings less than this amount.
Not neccessarily, it depends on whether you have allowances or deductions such as company car, fuel, medical insurance, previously owed tax etc

I am in the middle of doing 2years worth of tax returns (oops) and after much confusion etc. I managed to find out the correct code from the tax office over the phone. Pity the rest wasn't as straight forward....

phone the HMRC / inland revenue and ask them. 647L is the standard code for those under 65, but if you have taxable allowances like a company vehicle or have underpaid tax in a previous year, or more than one job or source of income, your code could be different

look for the employees helpline. it's handy if you phone when you have a recent payslip to hand as they will ask for your employers reference number, NI number etc, which should all be on your payslip

The only way to be sure that you have been issued with the correct PAYE Coding Notice is to have details of your benefits in kind/prior year tax underpayment adjustments etc to hand and do the calculation yourself. Invariably the Tax Office get it wrong so they would be my last port of call when trying to find out what my code should be.

My tax code is 609L!

So I'm paying too much tax then?

unless there is a good reason why you aren't on 647L

do you have a company vehicle, or other source of income? what was your tax code the last couple of years? have you underpaid tax previously? you can underpay tax just by having the wrong tax code or not giving the right P45/P46 details when changing jobs

My tax code is 576L and the only benefit that I have, as far as I know is private medical!

As for knowing what you should be on, HMRC probably get it wrong so god help us lot!

Not neccessarily, it depends on whether you have allowances or deductions such as company car, fuel, medical insurance, previously owed tax etc

Your correct mate. My apologies for the incomplete info in my post.

My tax code is 576L and the only benefit that I have, as far as I know is private medical!

That sounds about right. This means your private medical insurance costs your company £710 which IIRC is about what my old lot used to pay for Bupa. You just pay the tax on this benefit, be it 20% or 40% depending on what you earn.

For years whilst at my old company and having a Seat Cupra R as a company Car and Private medical my code was 288K which is a negative code :eek:

This basically meant that before i earnt a penny on Jan 1st, i already owed them 40% of £2880 :suicide:

Now i only have an old pickup truck for work use only my code is back to 647L and i'm rich again :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom