How to figure out correct timbre?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bobbydigital05, Jan 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bobbydigital05

bobbydigital05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi. I am struggling to finish my home theatre system. I have my new Yamaha RX v383 receiver. My Yamaha 5.1 speakers. But I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers I'd like to use at the front. I know they are old but they sound great to me. I tried to find a Wharfedale 9 centre speaker, as I've learnt how important it is to match the front 3 speakers. The only new one I can find is going for almost £100. It's old. And it seems too much. Could someone explain how I go about matching a new centre speaker. By budget is about £150 and it needs to match the Diamonds 9.1.
    What do I need to match?and what is speaker timbre to timber?
    Id really appreciate any help.

2. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.CS CENTRE SPEAKER | in Bournemouth, Dorset | Gumtree

Or you could use another 9.1 model at center, that would be best match. Of course you would need to buy pair and placement is little bit more trickier. If you can talk a good deal, why not buy another pair for surrounds aswell. Then you would have matching speakers all around. I think you would love it. If you have some small Yamaha satellites the wharfedale`s puts them to shame! With your budget i could easily see you buying 2pairs of 9.1 or 1pair + 9cs which i linked!

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers | in Bournemouth, Dorset | Gumtree
    Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 | in Horfield, Bristol | Gumtree

Another option would be 9.0 as surrounds (depending are the Yamahas too small); Wharfedale Speakers Per Pair

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    Since you have all the speakers at the moment try swapping out the front L/R speakers for the Wharfedales and see if you notice an issue with the sound matching (not everyone does). If you do you could then try removing the centre speaker and let the Wharfedales create a phantom centre which may also work well for you. So try the cost free options first and if neither of these work for you then go looking for a new centre.

4. bobbydigital05

bobbydigital05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the advise. And thanks for the link Gasp. I'm currently in the process of arranging to buy the CS you linked. Just waiting for him to reply by email which is a pain!
    In the meantime I will try what you suggested PSM. I have the Wharfedale as L&R at the moment with a Yamaha for centre. To me it actually sounds fine.But I just like the idea of the three fronts matching. So you don't necessarily require a centre?
    PS Gasp I would like to have another 9.1 as centre but placement is a big problem. And I think you're right, and I think I will go with Wharfedale all around. But I think I'll wait till I can afford to get a Wharfdale sub too, then sell my Yamaha NSP40 set!

5. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    It depends how far apart your L+R are if to go without center. Still if you can place the center optimally as high as possible to ear height when you sit then it`s going to be good. That also means it isn`t inside some cabinet "hidden".

Wall mounting tv is easy nowadays and doesn`t cost much. Also some risers under tv feet`s might do the trick if the center channel would block the tv otherwise. Plus Ikea has cheap av-cabinets if nothing seems to work, just got to calculate which cabinet would be right size. Get the speaker placement right and you will enjoy your system more, that goes for other speakers aswell. AudioVisualOnline has ex-demo speaker stands for 20£/pair. Those 9.1 will sound best when on top of stands!

I had a feeling you got the cheap NSP40 set. Better to sell it whole, should be easy to sell as people are usually looking tiny satellites. You don`t need to buy matching subwoofer! When you know the budget for sub make a new thread to subwoofer section or post here. There is some choices, but i would save up around 220£ *(minimum). Of course it depends what kind of performance you are after. You can also look classifieds section here for better 2nd hand option.

* Grade b satin black usually 199£+26£ delivery;
    Gemini

Those 9.1 are very cheap as new (50£ 2nd hand), if you can handle the size at surrounds get these there too! Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

6. bobbydigital05

bobbydigital05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Appreciate that. 9.1 would be difficult to accommodate as surrounds so I think I will hopefully buy the 9cs you linked me, fix that above TV, then save for sub and surrounds, then sell the NSp40. I've made mistake after mistake setting up this system lol.
    I bought a second hand receiver, that got the ball rolling, then bought the Yamaha speakers which I was underwhelmed by, then bought a new entry level Yamaha receiver because I wanted 4k Hdmi for the TV i bought for Christmas (don't regret the new receiver, really like it for an entry level one) then decided I would use my 9.1s anyway.
    So £40 second hand receiver, £20 optical cables (first wasn't long enough) £140 Yamaha speakers, £20 surround speaker mounts I probably won't use when I buy new surround speakers, equals about £220 wasted minus whatever I sell it all for!
    Because I had an operation in October so off work for a bit, then Christmas I tried doing it on the cheap. Silly noob idea. When I'm ready to buy sub and surrounds I'll post here. Thanks again.

7. bobbydigital05

bobbydigital05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm going to post a new thread too. But what do you think about having that CS about 2 foot away from the ceiling pointing down towards me? I never realised untill last night how big the CS is! I can't fit it below the TV unless I replace the TV unit which I don't want to do. And because the TV sits over a foot away from the wall, I can't have the cm directly above the TV as the sound will be being blocked from the TV. TV raiders would look too odd as it would have to be very high. Do you think it would be too bad if angled correctly?

8. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +640
    Going back almost 20 years, I had a bracket manufactured for me to mount the centre speaker high up. I worked fine until I changed the cabinet which enabled me to bring the centre speaker down. I did fine it sounded better below than above though

My thought on this though is that most centre speakers are either low down or high up. Very few are able to have them at the perfect ear height due to the TV being centre stage or it just looking unsightly.

With that in mind, so long as you direct the speaker to ear level and you set it set the distances and levels up correctly together with the acceptance that you may get a little more boom together with the fact that those upstairs may hear it, you'll be fine.

9. bobbydigital05

bobbydigital05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Shane. I've just got back from my 105 mile drive to pick up the centre speaker. It's a bit of a beast but I'm really happy with it. Because of how deep the speaker is I can actually have it on a shelf just above the TV. I was worried the sound would get blocked by the TV but it actually won't. It will be above the TV which, because I like the TV quite low, won't be much further to my ears than if it was below. Now I just need to go to BnQ tomorrow and build a shelf!
    Thanks for your advise and help.

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    A proper speaker bracket would be better. A speaker will not sound its best on a shelf.

11. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
  12. bobbydigital05

bobbydigital05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Martin. That would have been a good idea. I have done this now!

Attached Files: