How to extend the range of the Virgin 30Mb modem / router

PH001

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got off the phone to Virgin technical who don't seem to be able to help me with my query. I'm currently on a 10Mb connection but want to upgrade to 30Mb. I do not use the wireless router that Virgin originally supplied as I needed a wireless repeater in my loft to be able to get wifi in other parts of the house (very thick walls). I just use the Virgin cable modem and a pair of Netgear Rangemax WPN824 v3 routers which I managed to configure without too much trouble.

I asked Virgin if I could keep the pair of WPN824 v3 if I upgraded to 30Mb but they told me that I would require a new modem / router and as this was all combined in one device then I would not be able to use my Netgear repeater.

This is a big problem for me as essentially means I cannot get the range I need so am stuck with 10Mb.

Can anybody tell me the make and model of the Virgin 30Mb modem / router? I'm thinking if it's Netgear I might have a chance of configuring it to accept the repeater - can anybody confirm if there appears to be any options in the settings for wireless repeaters?. Or has anybody ever manged to successfully configure a different repeater with the Virgin kit? It seems crazy to me that Virgin have not considered this requirement and have a solution for it.

I take it you have one of your repeaters connected via Ethernet to the virgin modem?

If so then you can just replace the modem with the superhub and continue using your repeaters. You may have to disable DHCP, or if I recall correctly there is a setting that effectively turns the superhub into a modem.

Either way you can continue using your current setup, just with the modem you have now replaced with a superhub.

Thanks for the reply - the Netgear routers are connected as wireless repeaters. This is why I purchased them as a pair initially as confguring non matched routers never seems to work in my experiance.

Sorry, I must be misunderstanding your original post, you say you are using a virgin cable modem and a pair of repeaters, how are these repeaters connected to the modem?

Sorry - probably me not making myself clear! Virgin cable modem conected to first Netgear Router by ethernet cable. Second Netgear Router in loft acting as a wireless repeater (no cable connection to first Netgear Router).

If it's possible to set the new Virgin Superhud as a 'modem only' then in principle I can use the current setup. Can anybody confrim this is possible?

PH001 said:
Sorry - probably me not making myself clear! Virgin cable modem conected to first Netgear Router by ethernet cable. Second Netgear Router in loft acting as a wireless repeater (no cable connection to first Netgear Router).

If it's possible to set the new Virgin Superhud as a 'modem only' then in principle I can use the current setup. Can anybody confrim this is possible?

Yes it is. It specifically has an option to put it into modem mode.

Yes it is. It specifically has an option to put it into modem mode.

+1 on this, we're having VM installed next weekend with the 30Mb BB and I read up on the supplied kit and it specifically says it can be used as a modem only by switching off the wireless side.

Mind you, having said that I'm going to use it as supplied, I'm with Sky at the moment with their Sagem router and whilst it's OK, the wireless is brilliant so I'm hoping the VM one will be better otherwise I'll be looking at using it in modem mode and use a decent wireless router.

Stef

Turning off the wireless capabilities and/or using the Super Hub as just a modem should not be confused with one another. The Super Hub has separate settings for enabling/dissabling its wireless capabilities and for putting it into modem only mode. If you disable the wireless capabilities then the Super Hub can still be used as a router, but if you put it into modem only mode then the router functionality of the Hub are no longer possible. You cannot use additional routers unless you put the Super Hub into modem only mode.

Great, thanks! Shame Virgin don't seem to be aware of this!

But they are and publish instructions on how to configure their Super Hub accordingly:

How do I disable wireless on the Virgin Media Super Hub?
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...YPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=

How do I set up Modem Mode on my Super Hub?
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=412750

Last edited:
I had the same problem.

Upgraded from the 10Meg normal router to the 30Meg superhub.

I'm getting decent speeds when sat in the same room as the router (living room) but the signal struggles going through walls and seems to have a range of only about 30 foot.

I've been reading the net for a solution for a few weeks now and I've found it.

There is a closing down sale on a Bestbuy (the big US based Electrical shop).

I went for the easier, most reliable but most expensive option and I'm very pleased.

I bought the Develo 1409 dLan 200 AV Wireless-N starter kit.
The RRP is ÂŁ120 and on Amazon it's currently ÂŁ89 with great reviews.

At Bestbuy their routers are 50% reduced, so I paid ÂŁ59.99.

It took literally 5 minutes maximum to set up.

I put the small adapter in a plug in the living room with an ethernet cable attached to the virgin router. Then I walk over to the dining room at the other end of the house and plug the larger adapter in. This then sends a second much stronger wifi signal to that part of the house. The beauty is that it's a router in a plug and the connection is via the normal household electric circuit (so no cabling is required). Also you can check the wifi signal and place the Develo router in any room, its totally portable.

When I'm in the living my laptop, iphones and ipad use the Virgin router and everywhere else in the house it picks up the Develo router. Basically I get a very strong signal all over the house.

Last edited:
Hee..heee.. tell that to tech support!

Could you please report back and let us know how you get on configuring it to work with your netgear kit.
I have the Linksys WRT610n dual band wireless router and would like to continue using this with the super hub.

Last edited:
I also have a dual band router that I prefer to use. I simply put the Super Hub into modem mode and use it as a straight replacement for the old cable modem. No configuring necessary on my dual band router, and my wi-fi network works as it has always done.

HTH

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom