How to Extend a HDMI Cable

kevsta1970

Standard Member
Reaction score
Happy new Year to everyone at the forum - my first post of 2012.

The lounge has recently been redecorated with cables being run for a home cinema and plasma TV set up. I have had my eye on the Panasonic TXP50GT30B plasma tv and did some research to identify where the HDMI's were located. I then bought a HDMI cable accordingly with a right angle connector which has been set in the wall. The TV has been delivered and mounted on the wall using a slim profile bracket

To my shock and horror I am unable to connect the HDMI cable to the TV as the connector is the wrong way round (by 180 degrees) and have not allowed enough slack to 'twist' the cable round. :facepalm:

Grateful for any advice or links to what my options are. I am looking into purchasing a coupler that will then allow me to connect another short cable but am getting confused with male/female and A/B etc.

Many Thanks
Kevin

Thank you for the response. Is there anything wrong with getting a coupler? I already have a 1m HDMI cable and could just purchase a coupler for a fraction of the cost the extension cable.

Will I notice a loss in picture quality by doing it this way?

Many Thanks

Kevin

The coupler or adapter will not cause any quality loss. The HDMI signal is digital (totally lossless), so either 100% correct each and every pixel, or hideously unwatchable (but only if the adapter is faulty).

Have you considered a right angle adapter instead?

HDMI Adapters

A passive coupler + cable won’t generally cause image/sound issues.

The main issue is space at the rear of your Display and how flexible the cable will be where it exits the Display.

Joe

Thanks once again for the responses. As you mention space at the rear of the TV is at a premium. As I have a few other cables to get I will cost it all up and make a decision seeing as there will be no loss of quality whichever way I decide to proceed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom