1. Join Now

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Erase MiniDV Tapes Quickly ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders & Video Editing' started by Gliese 581c, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c Well-known Member

Ratings:
    +476
    Hi all, is there a way to erase a mini dv tape quickly from inside the camcorder or controlled from a PC ?

Takes too long to record nothing over the top of whats already on there.

I have a Sony DCR-PC8E that I need to sell on and need to blank the tapes quickly.

2. chrishull3

chrishull3 Well-known Member

Ratings:
    +254
    there is no way to erase mini dv tape only record over used tape.why do you need to blank tapes to sell the cam when you can give the buyer a new tape.
    if you want to put them by a magnetic field as has been said may wipe them but i would never a tape in my cam again that had such a process.

3. senu

senu Distinguished Member

Ratings:
    +2,865
    No

Well you can leave them in overnight.. or before you go off to work..Recording over them is better though..you don't want to wear out the camcorders heads and mechanism just "erasing" them

Why? even if the camcorder goes, are the tapes not an archive of your previous effort?. I'm sure you don't intend to sell the tapes as well:eek:!

Have a read

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637308

4. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +476
    Thanks guys, I didnt think there was a way but thought I'd post on the off chance.

Senu, tapes have already been edited, and burnt to DVD.

5. senu

Ratings:
    +2,865
    No worries .. Just reuse them;)
    In some cases if the edited footage is precious enough you can write it (ie the edited version) back to tape.. as it is ultimately more ""secure" than DVD..

6. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +476
    Quite agree, I would have kept them but I now have the Sony SR8, with it being HDD driven the tapes are no use to me anymore.

7. senu

Ratings:
    +2,865
    You never know.. HDD fails you know .. you might find your "old" taped recordings suddenly becoming very precious!:rotfl:

8. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +476
    :laugh:

Too late now though. Only 2 tapes left to go.

Just watch your tapes deteriorate over time and my HDD still pristine :rotfl:

9. ctcrm

ctcrm Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    you can purchase devices to wipe tapes from cctv/security wholesalers or maplins i think...

regs covering cctv systems require that tpaes are completly wiped before they are recorded on again... of course this never happens and becoming irrelavent with the uptake of dvr multiplexers but there are devices out there for such tasks.

10. senu

Ratings:
    +2,865
    In your dreams mate ,HDDs crash / fail and carefully kept tapes last ( Ok not forever , but almost!)

Do they exist for miniDV tapes though?..

11. chrishull3

Ratings:
    +254
    i cant think why arcams tapes need be wiped even if he is changing formats.

12. senu

Ratings:
    +2,865
    He's got dodgy :censored:footage on them, thats why!:oops: :rotfl:

13. chrishull3

Ratings:
    +254
    :thumbsup:
    you are awful but i like you:clap:::

14. chrishull3

Ratings:
    +254
    :thumbsup:

15. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +476
    :rotfl:

What you all like.

I only take respectable good clean fun footage.;)

All tapes now erased.

16. red bihozkabe

red bihozkabe Standard Member

Ratings:
    +0
    there is a couple of cases you need an empty tape: :lesson:
    -if you hit the "search blank" some cameras have, it takes you to the last place you ended recording. if the tape is not empty it may take you to the end of the film.
    -when you import your videos to the PC. if it's not empty it will import the newly recorded clips AND the old ones. personally i don't want to keep stopping manually the import and deleting extra videos each time.

here's the question: if you wipe the tapes with magnets will them work again? did anyone try?

17. chrishull3

Ratings:
    +254
    Well i am not getting into that,i have never wiped tapes only reused 2 or three times at most in my Tape days,this link shows haw this site has changed in the past few years.:rolleyes:

18. doug_1986

doug_1986 Active Member

Ratings:
    +115
    Pretty old thread this!

But yes, tapes can be wiped using machines with magnets and be perfectly usable. Pro format tapes are expensive (Digibeta / HDCam / HDCamSR / etc), so old un-needed tapes are regularly wiped and used for 'lesser' jobs (known as 'gash' tapes). See Tapechek professional videotape care equipment.

Have no idea about a DIY solution though, but the theory is clearly there :thumbsup:

19. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Yes & Yes ;)

I work in IT and we regularly degaussed our backup tapes and then reused them with no issues. I of course made use of the equipment to wipe a few of my MiniDV tapes, although I never really had a requirement for this as I never reused tapes - so this was just as a test.

Mark.

20. noiseboy72

noiseboy72 Well-known Member

Ratings:
    +673
    Bulk erasers are just a large transformer with one end of the cage missing, giving a huge magnetic field. Switch them on and wipe the tape through it and it will be blank. I know, I used to work for a company who made them!

No issue with re-using it, the magnetic flux will cause no damage to the tape, only realigning the magnetic particles.

This is why so many old TV programs are missing, as the tapes were wiped for re-use, due to storage and tape costs.

21. Emerton

Emerton Active Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Haha, so it's all your fault :)

22. chrishull3

Ratings:
    +254
    What is the point of erasing when dv like vhs/8mm etc tapes before them can just recorded over for reuse.

23. Nic6

Nic6 Active Member

Ratings:
    +3
    They can be quickly erased by placing them in close proximity to a big strong magnet and passing the tape to and fro over the magnet.
    This method is commonly known as 'degaussing' and is the method the BBC used to wipe many 2" Ampex video tapes in the late 60s and early 70s such as Top of the Pops, Dr. Who and many others.

24. 12harry

12harry Well-known Member

Ratings:
    +241
    I thought this "Use strong magnet" idea was wrong?
    -Surely the magnetic field needs to alternate N-S and progressively get weaker, ( with multiple magnet assemblies ), so there is no (or v.little?) residual-flux left on the tape which could be transferred to the heads.

I understood, wiping tapes was done because of the huge cost of those 2" video tapes.

Degaussing is a term applied to removing residual magnetism,
    Also, in ships for example where they acquire a magnetic polarity during manufacture. By applying a reverse field the residual is removed (so long as the current is flowing thro' the coils ).

25. Kevo

Kevo Well-known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I have camcorder tapes that are 20 years old and off air recordings on VHS going back 30 years. I doubt a HDD will last that long or even DVD or BD . I would NEVER rely on digial copies as my master source. The only issue for all media (and file formats) inc tapes is whether the hardware will be available to play them back in the future.
    But some day I think you will regret selling them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. 12harry

Ratings:
    +241
    This has been a regular discussion - how to archive, etc. and I guess it comes down to How can I archive cheaply, with little effort?
    HDD are very reliable and if looked after both environmentally and electrically should survive a long time - who said 30 years?
    That's not long compared with BlueRay ( and CD/DVD before ) that bang the 100-year drum...but how do they know? Also our home-burnt discs use a lesser tech method and may be somewhat easier to destroy.
    Tape (analogue) wasn't that good when recorded, so I struggle to understand why folk wouldn't convert them to Digital copies ASAP if only to start the archive-process.
    -Of course you can archive the originals and if stored well, good-quality tape should be excellent....but you just never know which batch your tape is - unlike HDD which tend to be rather similar in performance ( although that is an Opinion, folks!).
    The problem with tape is loss of adhesion to the base, loss of magnetic power, partly due to print-through but also due to changes in the environment. Also the rewind tension is said to affect longevity, but this may be lumped-in with General Mech handling.

Certainly a worry for Archivists is the reading, whether analogue, or digital. This also applies (so I read) to RAW formats that belong to specific Mfrs of cameras..... you'd think there would be one single RAW standard, wouldn't you? Provided you keep the software "master" then presumably you can reload any PC to read the files.
    However, VHS players are getting rare and although I keep a few, I've no routine to play them - and don't know how one should store them, other than "With care". It being difficult to seal up the whole box with dry-gel to keep moisture down . . . . however, there are electronic circuits inside and these can fail even without use ( and some believe this will speed-up failure!). Heads can corrode and the many motors can develop faults as with any mechanical device. Fortunately VHS machines are computer-controlled, so that remove Operator-error somewhat.

So maybe a robust subscription to The Cloud is the answer - until someone interferes with your stuff by hacking, or a nuclear explosion ( EMP etc. ).

In reality, if you want reliable archives, then you should only start with slate tablets and/or stone - just about everything else fails rather too quickly.

On balance I think HDDs are pretty hard to beat in terms of convenience/size/cost - so there is a use for all those "Fill to capacity" HDDs we have - provided the electrics are good ( and here, buying them in pairs may help ),
    i.e. SATA for current users, although presumably the caddy-electronics to USB may mean other Drives are OK ( like IDE ).... although somewhat smaller in capacity.... and slow to read, the content is reasonably safe.
    Duplication and saving in different places improves things, but increases cost/G

• Like Like x 1
  27. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,152
    I work in IT as I have said many times in the past, and I have never seen an enterprise grade (ie much better (and more expensive) than consumer grade) HDD that is still working for 20+ years. Like tape players/recorders a HDD is mechanical and can seize up if not used, or wear out. So I very much doubt that any consumer HDD that is built down to a cost is going to last anything close to 20 years, unlike some of the ~30 year old VHS tapes I can still play
    There is no way any optical disc is still going to be playable in 100 years time (even ignoring the availability of the hardware) as they are prone to scratches and the layers separating etc. I've had old CD's from the 80's fail to play on any player I have tried, and DVD and BD are less reliable - a friend I worked with a few years back had a 4 year old son that could kill a brand new DVD in minutes, yet had many older VHS tapes that still played well.
    ~5 years seems to be the suggested shelf life of home burnt optical media - although some will obviously last a lot longer, and some a lot less.
    The Lifespan of Burned DVDs and CDs, What You NEED to Know!

Mark.

28. Nic6

Nic6 Active Member

Ratings:
    +3
    If you put your DV tape up against a decent size and powerful magnet and move the tape around it the tape will be wiped, if you put such a magnet up against a computers hard drive ALL data will be lost forever and the hard drive will be destroyed.
    Although it is wise to ALWAYS KEEP YOUR MASTER TAPES.
    Something the TV companies, especially the BBC failed to do.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  29. 12harry

Ratings:
    +241
    There is no suggestion that a strong magnet won't remove data - that doesn't mean it's good policy to use one.

Seagate now uses AFR rather than MTBF - they believe this is more useful for users. I note that their Barracuda drive is specified at 1.2million hours... I calc this is 136years DYOR. However, as you probably intended to mention, it does presume the drive is being used daily, presumably to maintain the bearings.

I read that Fuji is soon to launch 15Tb optical discs ( no further info- DYOR), so I'm guessing the reliability is similar to other storage methods - or maybe better.

Yep, DVD's are easily destroyed - because the data is written once. With CD multiple copies are present so the Player can determine errors and ignore/repair the audio. I understand this suited the Industry as they didn't want CD's to run too long; and they'd be price-competitive with existing distribution.

30. Kevo

Kevo Well-known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Is archiving of consumer stuff really that crtical these days?
    Kids don't need to rely on their parents anymore to keep an archive of them growing up, they just do their own and put it on social networking sites. It's seen by many and then forgoroteen about.
    Gone are the days I think of reminiscing with the photo albums and home movies on TV.