Question How to eliminate extra grey light bars

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nazjones, Apr 14, 2016.

1. nazjones

nazjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have tried different resolutions, aspect ratios and projector distance from screen (wall in my case) to get full viewable screen without extra grey light bars on all four side, but it is always there and my viewable area is always within this extra light bars.

Is this normal? is there a way to eliminate this and have no borders.

PS This is an old benq projector MP620C. I tried changing resolution and aspect ratio on projector as well as on laptop.

Thanks!

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,911
  3. nazjones

nazjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I did but it does not remove those grey borders

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,911
    So even with keystone off, although the image gets larger, it still doesn't fill to the edges?

Are there any times such as using pj test patterns that the image fills to the outer edges completely?

5. nazjones

nazjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct! It gets larger and doe snot fit to edges. with constant surrounding borders. I am not sure what pj test patterns mean. One more thing this projector is running of from my laptop through laptop's HDMI output to projector's DVI input for a limited resolution output this way. I used to own a bluray with component output connected to projector's vga input enabling 1080i resolution, I cannot remember if I had this issue with bluray connected to projector

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,911
    Well you're certainly on the right lines with respect to giving it the correct resolution because as you've already worked out, if it's not giving it the full res, and the pj is displaying pixel to pixel, the rest will just be illuminated and unused, giving a bright border.

I think that pjs native res is 1024 x 768 (4:3), so if you send that to the pj via HDMI or VGA do you still get the bright borders? Are you using a 16:9 screen or a 4:3 screen with it?

It could be that the pj has some unwanted light that is escaping around the edges due to (poor?) design and there won't be much you can do about that except maybe some cardboard masking, but that won't work too well.

7. nazjones

nazjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you are right it's 4:3 native projector. And I have been trying to achieve what projector is not deigned to do as most of the tests were done on 16:9 you tube videos. This is what I did now.
    1) set the projector settings to auto resize : off, Aspect ratio 4:3.
    2) connected it to laptop and in laptop's display settings, set the output from laptop to digital display only i.e projector (that is to avoid clone display where both laptop and projector displays are in use)
    2.1) on laptop, set the resolution to 1024*768, and scaling to scale full screen for projector's digital display

3) then I played this 4:3 video demo form you tube
    Aspect Ratio - 4:3 Video Demo

Result: Most of my screen was taken over by video with very narrow illuminated grey borders that I would expect form any projector?

Also the video had black bars around it but that I understand is from youtube container

I thought I can put this old projector to use to watch decent 16:9 videos if not 21:9 but seems it's time to buy a new one!

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,911
    Not all projectors project unwanted light around the image - those designed for home cinema usually don't, but perhaps because that pj is data pj, that wasn't really taken care of so much as it probably wont be visible in a well lit conference room.

My first two digital projectors were 4:3 and one was the same res as yours, but they didn't have the overspill yours does. I was using a PC directly via VGA playing DVDs and it was fine in that respect. What does the PC desktop look like on the pj - does that have the same overspill even when keystone is at zero?

Gary

9. nazjones

nazjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have hdmi to dvi cable so can't tell vga to vga results. I will get a vga to vga cable and hook it up with laptop to see if it makes any difference. Wish i had my old bluray player to also test it with component to vga as they have stopped component output on bluray players now. Yes in daylight as right now while typing I can't see the overspill as much as when it's dark. Also the keystone on this projector does not deal with the overspill area at all, it only controls the projected image/video from the source. The overspilled borders just goes around and remain exactly as the splash screen when projector is first turned on

10. dts77

dts77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Do yourself a favor and get a new home cinema projector.even a few years old one second hand at this point in time would be a massive improvement