how to edit with Sony Vegas and upload to youtube without loss of quality?

Ollie999

Standard Member
I'm capturing game footage from an XBOX 360 using a Hauppauge HDPVR. The captured videos are great quality however if I edit them in sony Vegas then the rendering process ruins the quality somewhat. There is then further deterioration in quality after uploading videos to youtube.

I have found that none of the 1080 rendering options work in Sony Vegas apart from .WMV format which produces a poor quality video.

Have tried capturing at 720p instead but there is still a significant loss of quality after rendering in that the scrolling is a bit jerky. Then after uploading the picture goes a bit blurd.

The only way I can find to get good quality onto youtube is by uploading the captured files directly without editing. However this doesn't really solve the problem as I really want to be able to edit the videos before uploading.

Please does anyone know how to capture-edit-upload without deterioration in quality?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

MarkE19

I uploaded a couple of videos to YuoTube over the weekend that I had edited in Vegas. They were from SD miniDV and the upload quality was fine, but will never be great due to the requirements of streaming video - ie low bit rates and high compression.
How did you do the upload? I just edited the DV .AVI video on the timeline and then clicked on 'File' > 'Upload to YouTube'. You then just enter your YouTube account details and the tags etc and Vegas does it all for you - compression & upload.

Mark.

Ollie999

Standard Member
Option of setting the capture format to either MPEG-2 TS Video which has a .TS extension or AVCHD Video with .M2TS extension. both have the same problems.

For some reason the direct upload to youtube from Vegas doesn't work. It logs in, renders and then just crashes out saying that the connection was lost every time. This is despite the fact that I have a very reliable broadband connection.

I have to upload by rendering the video and then using the upload page on youtube. have tried this using a variety of render settings in vegas and none of them seem to work particularly well. The rendered video always comes out a bit jerky which is quite annoying to watch.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Option of setting the capture format to either MPEG-2 TS Video which has a .TS extension or AVCHD Video with .M2TS extension. both have the same problems.

For some reason the direct upload to youtube from Vegas doesn't work. It logs in, renders and then just crashes out saying that the connection was lost every time. This is despite the fact that I have a very reliable broadband connection.

I have to upload by rendering the video and then using the upload page on youtube. have tried this using a variety of render settings in vegas and none of them seem to work particularly well. The rendered video always comes out a bit jerky which is quite annoying to watch.

Sounds like you are changing the framerate, if you answered my earlier post we might have a clue :confused:

12harry

Distinguished Member
Could Posters please give a description of their media /files/camera-settings, etc.

As well as the version of the Software being used, with Settings, etc.

As many folk use a Computer, it helps to include you PC details, as sometimes the "faults" are closer to "expectations" - and (not in this instance?) the use of the PC to play-back Edited vid files is almost always disappointing. This is not a fault - it is because PC's are not suited to playing DVD's

A £50 DVD-Player....will knock spots off a PC costing 10x as much.

- - - - - OP needs to address the points raised in #2 - - - - - -

Ollie999

Standard Member
Captured file info:-

Container and general information

MPEG-TS:774 MiB 12mn 50s Maximum overall bitrate: 18.0 Mbps
1 video stream :AVC
1 audio stream :AC-3

First Video stream
7 624 Kbps, 1280*720 (16:9), at 59.940 fps, AVC ([email protected])(CABAC / 4 Ref Frames)

Ollie999

Standard Member
Captured file info:-

Container and general information

MPEG-TS:774 MiB 12mn 50s Maximum overall bitrate: 18.0 Mbps
1 video stream :AVC
1 audio stream :AC-3

First Video stream
7 624 Kbps, 1280*720 (16:9), at 59.940 fps, AVC ([email protected])(CABAC / 4 Ref Frames)

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
That sounds like 720p60. You need to output same from the editor, changing the frame rate will produce motion artefacts and changing the resolution will affect the quality.

Ollie999

Standard Member
Please any suggestions as to which render/project setting to use that will actually work properly. The only option for 720 60p is "HD 720-60p YUV" that creates a .avi file. This option doesn't work properly, the video created is all jumpy and totally messed up. Even if it did work the file created is enormous. About 75gb for a 10 minute vid which would take forever to upload. I thought that choosing a setting with 720-30p would be ok as it's exactly half the frame rate but the quality is not good and the video a bit jerky on all of these settings.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Please any suggestions as to which render/project setting to use that will actually work properly. The only option for 720 60p is "HD 720-60p YUV" that creates a .avi file. This option doesn't work properly, the video created is all jumpy and totally messed up. Even if it did work the file created is enormous. About 75gb for a 10 minute vid which would take forever to upload. I thought that choosing a setting with 720-30p would be ok as it's exactly half the frame rate but the quality is not good and the video a bit jerky on all of these settings.

Without a sample hard to be specific, so batting in the dark here :confused:

First of all set your project settings to HD 720-60P.

After editing choose render as and click on Sony AVC 1280 x 720 30p. Now click on customise and choose double ntsc as the frame rate.

12harry

Distinguished Member
If we knew which Vegas OP has, we might suggest using the YouTube option, provided you have an a/c I understand does all the setting for you - at least that's what it says on the box (VS v10)

MarkE19

If we knew which Vegas OP has, we might suggest using the YouTube option,
And if you read the thread you would see that I suggested that in post #4 and then Ollie999 stated in post #5 that this 'doesn't work' ;)

Mark.

gbh46

Standard Member
Hello, I'm a a new member here. I assumed that this is a uk site as all the prices advertised are in £'s...
Reading the info about editing I am confused as to why the USA NTSC settings are being shown? As I said, I'm new here but if it is UK you should be using the UK Pal settings 25fps.
If I've got it wrong I apologise but I used Sony Vegas all the time and have good results uploading to Youtube.
:hiya: gbh46

MarkE19

Hello, I'm a a new member here.
Welcome to the forum :hiya:
I assumed that this is a uk site as all the prices advertised are in £'s...
It is indeed a UK forum ;)
Reading the info about editing I am confused as to why the USA NTSC settings are being shown? As I said, I'm new here but if it is UK you should be using the UK Pal settings 25fps.
If I've got it wrong I apologise but I used Sony Vegas all the time and have good results uploading to Youtube.
:hiya: gbh46
The capture in question here is from an XBox gaming console rather than a camcorder so perhaps these devices, like PC's, run at the USA NTSC standard of 30fps.
I'm not a gamer and have never owned a gaming console so am only guessing here though :confused:

Mark.

gbh46

Standard Member
Hello Mark, I'm not a game player either but as they are plugged into Uk TV's ( I assume) I would have thought they would be using the PAL standard?, it's fairly easy to put an encoder on the end for each particular tv standard. I just thought that if the material was being standards converted from PAL to NTSC this could be part of the reason for the drop in quality. ho hum life is too short.
Very interesting forum and I look forward to looking in depth at all it has to offer - last night was a bit of a rush
Cheers

Graham

Welcome to the forum :hiya:

It is indeed a UK forum ;)

The capture in question here is from an XBox gaming console rather than a camcorder so perhaps these devices, like PC's, run at the USA NTSC standard of 30fps.
I'm not a gamer and have never owned a gaming console so am only guessing here though :confused:

Mark.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Not sure about the X Box but the Nintendo Wii uses ntsc frame rates. It's best connection (component) output is 720 x 480 progressive at 29.97 fps. HD games machine connected by HDMI to a TV won't care what the frame rate is provided it's not 1080p24. Some TV's wont handle 24P so the box/blu-ray player whatever will use pull down to create 60fps.

Easy way to tell use Mediainfo to analyse a recording

MediaInfo

gbh46

Standard Member
Thanks for the info Graham, much appreciated. I am seriously not into playing games nowadays, used to back in the 80's on my Atari computers so I am totally out of touch as you will have gathered.
I noticed your equipment, very impressive. I bought a Canon XA10 a few months ago, upgraded from a HV30 and really pleased with it.
Cheers

Graham

gbh46

Standard Member
Ok Ollie thanks for the info, I have never tried to record a video game I just edit video taken with my camera.
I didnt read it properly, my mistake
Is that movie studio HD 11 or Vegas Pro 11?
Cheers
Graham

Ollie999

Standard Member
No worries.

Movie Studio HD 11.

I've since discovered that uploading directly to youtube works with very short videos ie <5 mins. Any longer and it crashes saying that the connection was lost. Although when attempting to upload longer vids it renders a files onto the hdd before crashing which can then be uploaded directly onto youtube. This seems to have improved things a fair bit.

12harry

Distinguished Member
This may be historical because I understand YouTube used to limit the uploads - by recording to HDD the connection can be broken and still be OK.
Ollie999 - Do you use the ProTitler feature in Studio v11?
. . . . . . . I wish I had that!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett