1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to edit on PC dvdram recording from Panny EH50 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Merlin, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done a test recording to dvdram on my panny eh50, it plays back on the panny ok. Place it in my LG DVDRAM reader/writer on the pc and I see its three files in a folder, folder called DVD_RTAV
    files within are:-
    VR_MANGR.BUP 5KB
    VR_MANGR.IFO 5KB
    VR_MOVIE.VRO 289,474 KB

I have a known prog icon (WinDVD) for the middle on, the other two have unknown prog icons given them.

InterVideo WinDVD icon plays the middle one, the ifo file and I see the footage play ok. How do I edit the dvdram video, cut adverts etc out of it, or take and keep from it wanted segments ? Premiere is my chosen weapon for such, but says unsupported fileformat for the ifo or vro files ! Premiere standard 6.5 by the way.

Merlin

2. simbart

simbart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm i managed do this a long time ago with a panasonic dvdram player. hopefully i can remember. basically th vro file is a mpeg2 file. i renamed it vr_movie.mpg and opened in virtualdub-mpeg2 which you can get here:
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/VirtualDub-MPEG2.zip

you may also need this so that it can read audio ok:
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/AC3ACM/AC3ACM.zip

you can use this to edit out adverts and such. and resave to burn as dvd in another program. not sure if premiere standard 6.5 will alow you to edit mpeg2 files.

let me know if that works, if not i'll have a play as i have managed to do it before for a film i recorded, but its been a while and my memory is a little hazy

simon

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/108963

there is a bit of explanation here for editing vobs which are much the same, you need to make sure you have direct stream copy enabled, in virtual dub, it will also output as an avi, which you would have to rencode to mpeg2 if you wanted to output to dvd. i'll check this i think there are different options for encoding options when saving.

3. simbart

simbart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could use virtual dub to just convert the mpeg2 file into an avi( it will be a big file, you may need to play with compression options), then take the avi into premiere for editing.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Use TMPG Enc Editor - that allows you to directly import DVD-RAM recordings and edit them with frame accuracy - once you've finished only the modified GOPs will be altered. The outputted MPEG should be readable by your Authorign software.

If you want to consider using other authoring programmes have a look at this guide on how to convert DVD-RAM to DVD-R.

5. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simbart,
    Oh ? :eek:

In the forum advice on my purchasing a DVD-HDD combo and thinking through how to edit out meaty snippets from documentaries etc to PC, I was told that VR mode is required for transfer to PC of any footage to retain its editability and that the panny writes VR only to DVD-RAM, vob file I recall. ...that mpeg2 is the dumb final format when editing finished. ...or is MPEG2 VR mode ?

Still it starts life as a mpeg2 though ?,...not a file format like avi or the format on a miniDV recording, more 'intelligent' and editable. I had hoped the file format on the DVDRAM was immediately of an editable format recognised by Premiere, THE editing prog, and prog I am trying to learn on. Furthermore to then edit to/fro straight to the DVDRAM as I have an LG burner (4163B) was my hope, or off to PCs HDD, edit then burn to DVD_RW.

PilotSnipes said elsewhere in my other thread

I would like to spend what little time I have learning one prog (Premiere) if possible for all editing, (its complex stuff as it is !) whether it be camcorder footage or TV footage. I may even mix the two for final output occasionally.
    Surely that prog should handle this sort of thing :confused:

Rasczak
    Now why cant Premiere do that, come an Adobe ! So if Adobe can't then I use this prog, having bought Premiere to do all this :( .

What is GOP by the way ?
    Until such time as I have a DVD's worth, and with clips from 2secs to 10 secs or longer being assembled and pigeonholed, I shall need to keep these as editable, I had hoped to put them on dvdram from whence they came, partly saving PC space and to view on TV.

In other words...Panny writes VR mode to RAM, PC reads RAM, edits footage (Premiere was my hope), writes back to RAM (as may wish to add to that footage later) and I view that RAM back on the Panny EH50...not possible or is it ?

Can you mix VR mode files and edited avi files on the same RAM disc ?
    If not then my pigeonholed footage would go onto a new dvdram disc, to retain its avi mode, is that right ?...if I hadn't space to keep it on PC HDD.

Not yet sussed just what authoring prog/burning prog supports that LG burner ! Does anyone know ..hello PilotSnipes ?

Merlin

6. simbart

simbart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm afraid all dvd reocrders record mpeg2 as there file format. be it as .vro structure instead of vob.

the latest version of premiere i.e pro 1.5 allow for editing of hdtv files which are basically mpeg2 files. so an upgrade may allow editing of .vro but is obviously not a cheap soultion. if you really want tu use your current version then i think converting to avi is only soultion. this will be a seriously big file(i'm talking big!!). and then rencode back to mpeg2 once the edit is done. all authoring software will work with your burner.

there is lot of stuff here on editing .vro's
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t232309.html

and this suggests latest version of premiere may edit vro's
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t259367.html

also, and this may have changed, but if use authoring software to create dvd. and burn to dvd-ram, my panasonic would not read disc as dvd, it expects the .vro structure on a dvd-ram not vob that you get on dvd-videos. have to burn final disc to dvd-r for the panny to successfully read disc as dvd.

unfortunately no one seems to have created an easy way to edit vro's on computer and keep them as vro's they obviously don't want us to do it!!

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Yes they have - Ulead products will do this. MovieStudio for example.

8. simbart

simbart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    ...or alternative try the time-limited demo of Ulead MovieFactory which allows full conversion to/from VR mode. Further info can be read
    here.

There are dozens of programmes that support VR mode: Ulead, Nero 6.0 and Pegasys TMPG Products to name a few. Not many people want to convert to VR mode which is why not many apps support it. The idea is to use VR mode on your set-top and thus get features such as simulataneous record/play and editing, and then convert to Video mode to play on other machines.

10. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the links,

Womble I see has good reviews for frame accuracy, vitally useful for my many 2 second clips methinks, whilst Ulead not so good and neither Nero, not sure about Pinnacle but see mixed reviews there

I see Womble Wizard improves upon Womble MPEG-VCR the latter was what I had seen in a thread as THE prog to get, great praise from everyone, accurate frame cutting, supports ac3 audio, not clear though if could write vro back to dvd-ram

....but then I see http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=VideoReDo

In there it says for Womble that many cuts cause audio sync probs,..oh :eek: This VideoReDo has 10/10 again and again in the review thread, but one comment says it cannot generate vob and ifo files for dvd players. If I understand all this dvd stuff correctly thats dvdram burning of still editable files shot down, as vro format of the panny is a vob file, I think !?

I have TMGenc DVD Author 1.6 for the chapter and title making bit etc and Nero Express bundled with the LG DVD-RAM burner.
    Not sure about the DVD burning there as the only option I see is miniDVD, Isn't that a smaller disc size ? Excuse my ignorance if a silly question.

To carry DVD-RAM to PC and edit contents of it on the ram disc, as I get no TV watching time enough for viewing and editing, was my goal, is it not possible ?

Merlin