How to Edit MP4 (h.264) directly in Movie Maker (XP)

mkdr24

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

This is a problem I've recently overcome while using both Flip Mino HD and the new Toshiba Camileo BW10 mini cams at work (educational environment)

Like a lot of new HD consumer grade cams they record in MP4 H.264 with AAC sound. Out of the box Windows Movie Maker cannot see this format.

There seems to be alot of miss information about this on various forums with many saying its impossible. So I thought I would post a method that has worked for me.

Starting Point- Im on XP SP3 32bit on a Dell PC in a network environment, E8400 with 4GB RAM.

1) Install latest version of Movie Maker (i'm working with ver 2.1.4)
2) Install the K-lite mega codec pack, can be found here....K-Lite Mega Codec Pack - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com - if you don't want to do a full install, the 3 components you need are 'FFDshow' (both audio and video) and 'Haali Media Splitter'

3) Once installed, re-boot and enter Movie Maker. Go to Tools-Options-Compatibility (tab). You should see a list of codecs and filters that are ticked to use in Movie Maker, Scroll to the bottom of that list, and tick 'FFDshow video decoder'.

4) Restart Movie Maker. Find a suitable output file from your camera in .MP4 format. re-name the file extension to .avi. _ This is the only way I could get the file to work......

5) Import the file into Movie Maker using the 'import video' option on the left panel.

6) You should now be able to edit the MP4 file directly with no conversion.

NB: If all is well you should see 3 new icons in your system tray when the file is open.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Drop me a line if you are having problems/have comments on the method above.

Thanks

Mkdr

Last edited:
HI
Many thanks for this info.

I have tried it with the output from my Hitachi DZ-HV565E which also recordsclips as MP4 H264 with AAC sound .

I found that FFDshow was already in the list on WMM (V2.1.4027) and I ticked the box. I renamed a clip as .avi and added to the collection. However there is no picture in the thumbnail box and when dragged to the timeline and played there is no picture but sound only.

The original file is 1440x1080 29.97Fps progressive scan.

What 3 Icons should appear in the system tray? ..all that has appeared are 2 Haali media splitter icons.

I have been trying to edit this footage in an early version of Preniere Elements which will load the .MP4's no trouble and my first trials were very successful. However having now tried to edit a movie made from some 50 clips I have been finding that chunks of the sound track disappear on certain clips when added to the library in PE. I have been experimenting with file conversions with some success but am not entirely happy that the picture quality is being maintained.

Any ideas of where I am going wrong with WMM would be greatly appreciated.

HI
Many thanks for this info.

I have tried it with the output from my Hitachi DZ-HV565E which also recordsclips as MP4 H264 with AAC sound .

I found that FFDshow was already in the list on WMM (V2.1.4027) and I ticked the box. I renamed a clip as .avi and added to the collection. However there is no picture in the thumbnail box and when dragged to the timeline and played there is no picture but sound only.

The original file is 1440x1080 29.97Fps progressive scan.

What 3 Icons should appear in the system tray? ..all that has appeared are 2 Haali media splitter icons.

I have been trying to edit this footage in an early version of Preniere Elements which will load the .MP4's no trouble and my first trials were very successful. However having now tried to edit a movie made from some 50 clips I have been finding that chunks of the sound track disappear on certain clips when added to the library in PE. I have been experimenting with file conversions with some success but am not entirely happy that the picture quality is being maintained.

Any ideas of where I am going wrong with WMM would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there

The three icons should be as follows - FFDshow Audio (Blue) FFDshow Video (Red) and Haali Splitter (White).

It sounds like FFDshow isnt set to be the default decoder for MP4. To set this you will need to go into the config for FFDshow. If you have K-lite installed, this should be in your startmenu.

Once you get the config menu, select 'codecs' at the very top of the list of the left hand side. under H.264, drop the box down and make sure 'libavcodec' is selected.

Reboot and give it another go.

I've attached 2 pics to this post, the first shows the correct icons, the second shows me changing the codec type in FFDshow.

Rgds

Mkdr

Attachments

• ffdshowicons.jpg
    ffdshowicons.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 331
  • ffdshow.jpg
    ffdshow.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 650
Well Ive got it to work - thanks.

I think my version of K-lite was corrupt - as soon as I tried to enter the congiguration it fell over. So down loaded and re-intsalled K-Lite.

During the loading of this it requested I de-install Haali media splitter "installed elsewhere" as halli was part of the installation

As I say a brief trial indicates it works. However i now have 2 copies of both the red and blue ffdshow icons in the sys tray but no Haali media splitter icon?

Edit at 20.05 Trying now to edit clips in WMM I find there is no separate audio track shown on the timeline So it appears that Haali media splitter has not been used to demux the audio?? Will look around and report back.

OK further edit at 21.21. Explorer shows 2 entries for Haali as a folder name.

1) Under windows/ programs that contains a folder named matroska splitter and has 2 files
mkunicode.dll
mmfinfo.dll

And...

2) Under Windows/programs/AVSto DVD* as ....MatroskaSplitter.exe

Both of these are old files so I think....

1) is de install debris from the K-lite initiated de-install.

but....

2) is not available to other than AVS to DVD which * incidentally I find makes a far better job of converting AV files to a DVD folder than any other S/W I have tried.

Why has K-lite not reinstalled Haali media splitter in Program Files after it was insistent I removed the currently installed version?

Last edited:
not sure whats happened there!

I think totally removing both versions of K-lite and starting again might be the way to go.

My version does allow me to edit the audio track.

I dont like k-lite..It is really useful but can be very unstable and mess up a previously " happy " system
It actually resulted in a major repair if one of my Windows OS.
i find that some programs even trial) Canonpus ect leave useful codecs on a sysytem which remain even when the main program is no longer used or uninstalled

I dont like k-lite..It is really useful but can be very unstable and mess up a previously " happy " system
It actually resulted in a major repair if one of my Windows OS.
i find that some programs even trial) Canonpus ect leave useful codecs on a sysytem which remain even when the main program is no longer used or uninstalled

ageed in principal, and under windows 7 Movie Maker Live shouldn't need to use any external filters. But for those not on win7 or in a work environemnt, this is the only way to make Movie Maker and Mp4 work with each other.

Personally I couldn't live without CoreAVC on Windows 7. I think there is a place for external filters as long as they are stable.

I had Core avc on XP but not Vista
Core AVC is better behaved than k-lite though
I guess if you have software on your system that may have installed the codecs you may not always miss these external filters
And maybe I dont really use WMM ....

OK Where does this leave me ?

For Senu's benefit may I also say I have never used WMM before - I only got involved as it seemed to offer a solution to my problems.

Can I go back historically ?

Senu will know that I have previously been unhappy with my transfers from DV camcorder footage to DVD. After a long time trying innumerable avenues I have at last got a procedure that works.
Import and edit in Premiere Elements, export as highest quality DV.AVI, Convert using AVS to DVD. Burn using Roxio.

So I buy this HD camcorder with 5x optical zoom for £60. I shoot some video at 1440WSx1080 29.97p. I replay it direct on my 1080p TV and it looks fantastic( camera shake apart!). So I go out and start shooting a short movie of a marathon canoe race. Only one of my video editing packages - Premiere Elements seems to recognise this footage. So I stick the half dozen clips on the timeline of Premiere elements - edit out the odd shot of my left foot - export as .avi and convert to DVD using AVS to DVD and burn. OK not HD but excellent SD.

So I then shoot a movie of 50 clips - a family wedding (of course!)- cameras and camcorders were "frowned upon" during the service and anyway nobody else was shooting other than miniclips on minos. My point was that whilst I could get unobtrusive video the major requirement was to get audio of the happy couples vows and subsequently accolades from speakers at the reception.

So I load the clips into my early version PE and video wise no problem. However I begin to notice that in around 40% of clips either the soundtrack is missing completely or it cuts in or out at a certain point in the clip.

Delete and reload the clip and the sound still cuts in or out to the exact frame! Play the clip in an external player and the sound is OK throughout

I had been trying file format transfers when I happened on the OP's post.

Any advice will be very gratefully received.

Should I restore to 2-3 days ago and go on from there? or What?

Last edited:
OK Where does this leave me ?

For Senu's benefit may I also say I have never used WMM before - I only got involved as it seemed to offer a solution to my problems.

Can I go back historically ?

Senu will know that I have previously been unhappy with my transfers from DV camcorder footage to DVD. After a long time trying innumerable avenues I have at last got a procedure that works.
Import and edit in Premiere Elements, export as highest quality DV.AVI, Convert using AVS to DVD. Burn using Roxio.

So I buy this HD camcorder with 5x optical zoom for £60. I shoot some video at 1440WSx1080 29.97p. I replay it direct on my 1080p TV and it looks fantastic( camera shake apart!). So I go out and start shooting a short movie of a marathon canoe race. Only one of my video editing packages - Premiere Elements seems to recognise this footage. So I stick the half dozen clips on the timeline of Premiere elements - edit out the odd shot of my left foot - export as .avi and convert to DVD using AVS to DVD and burn. OK not HD but excellent SD.

So I then shoot a movie of 50 clips - a family wedding (of course!)- cameras and camcorders were "frowned upon" during the service and anyway nobody else was shooting other than miniclips on minos. My point was that whilst I could get unobtrusive video the major requirement was to get audio of the happy couples vows and subsequently accolades from speakers at the reception.

So I load the clips into my early version PE and video wise no problem. However I begin to notice that in around 40% of clips either the soundtrack is missing completely or it cuts in or out at a certain point in the clip.

Delete and reload the clip and the sound still cuts in or out to the exact frame! Play the clip in an external player and the sound is OK throughout

I had been trying file format transfers when I happened on the OP's post.

Any advice will be very gratefully received.

Should I restore to 2-3 days ago and go on from there? or What?

If you've been able to edit in movie maker with your footage then stick with it. Movie Maker is simple and you can control the quality of the output. Personally I have no issues with K-lite, so it may be worth sticking with it any ironing out any issues along the way.

If you've been able to edit in movie maker with your footage then stick with it. Movie Maker is simple and you can control the quality of the output. Personally I have no issues with K-lite, so it may be worth sticking with it any ironing out any issues along the way.

Thanks I agree - it will probably do what I want although will export as DV.avi and use AVS to DVD to author the DVD.
But I cannot edit in WMM due to the disappearance of Haali Media Splitter and therefore the non - demuxed audio in WMM - I need to add audio track enhancements, audio fades etc. I am somewhat unsure as to the best way to accomplish the re- availability of HMS?

Last edited:
The only caveat I would add is that despite the OPs confidence in k-lite you be ( at least initially) careful to " roll back" your system if need be, unless k-lite is now much better than I remember it
Put it this way Id never install it on a main office system
I did install all sorts on a clean Win Vista Install with no problems but .. "Once bitten...."
Windows 7 seems better supported
I agree WMM is fairly easy to use but Microsoft seem to have deliberately underpowered it and it is infact no longer a part of a Standard Windows install anymore
Nonetheless I fullly acknowledge the helpfulness of this thread and the OPs kindness in sharing it with us

The only caveat I would add is that despite the OPs confidence in k-lite you be ( at least initially) careful to " roll back" your system if need be, unless k-lite is now much better than I remember it
Put it this way Id never install it on a main office system
I did install all sorts on a clean Win Vista Install with no problems but .. "Once bitten...."
Windows 7 seems better supported
I agree WMM is fairly easy to use but Microsoft seem to have deliberately underpowered it and it is infact no longer a part of a Standard Windows install anymore
Nonetheless I fullly acknowledge the helpfulness of this thread and the OPs kindness in sharing it with us

Thanks Senu but am still confused. By "roll back" do you mean using as I suggested a restoration point?
Are you saying that having installed K-lite using a restore point is risky?
As my system is at the moment what I really require is to re-load/ restore the Haali media splitter. How do I do this?

I would rather use Premiere Elements but using this have this random but consistent disappearing audio track problem. Any ideas how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks Senu but am still confused. By "roll back" do you mean using as I suggested a restoration point?
Are you saying that having installed K-lite using a restore point is risky?
No I am concurring to say that you should manually create a restore point before installing it
When it works , it works very well but it seems that in some systems what codecs are on there before determines that rock solid stability

As my system is at the moment what I really require is to re-load/ restore the Haali media splitter. How do I do this?
Im less sure.. Why not try installing it in safe mode?
I had a similar problem and had to manually delete k-lite entries from the registry then reinstalled afresh
But as time went on after installing Core avc, Canopus Edius trial, Nero Vision and Sony Vegas i didnt bother with it anymore
I guess Im not as industrious as the OP and have relied on Vista and now Win 7 better file support to take the heat off trying to work these things out as Im very short of time for this sort of " research" ATM

I would rather use Premiere Elements but using this have this random but consistent disappearing audio track problem. Any ideas how to solve this would be greatly appreciated
Which version of elements?
I found ver7 crashing randomly where cs4 on the same system was very well behaved

Last edited:
OS.

Senu - does that mean that the Edius Neo 2 trial leaves the HQ codec installed and still functioning, after the trial period has ended?

Sorry to hijack the thread!:blush:

Senu - does that mean that the Edius Neo 2 trial leaves the HQ codec installed and still functioning, after the trial period has ended?

Sorry to hijack the thread!:blush:
Previuos versions have.. Im not sure of this latest one:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom