How to edit mini dv backups... Or are they worth keeping at all?

chaz11

Novice Member
Hi all,

Thinking about doing something a bit unusual and editing old mini dv backups.

These were digitised to AVI files ages ago, but going through these on the computer during lockdown makes me realise that the originals need to be edited as well. In fact, they should have been edited way back then, because now there's the headache of pointless scenery footage (something I never do anymore, having learned...) being left for future generations, or other things that should have been wiped soon after.

I don't even remember what the technique would have been, probably camcorder to camcorder?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Honestly, wished I'd never wasted time and energy with excessive filming, instead focusing on just a few shots of family... and especially with no annoying voice comments from behind camera.

Or is mini dv storage pointless anyway? That would logically be the easiest for me, just get rid of.. Read somewhere mini dv tapes have 30 year life span...

Whatever I do, I can't leave a stack of unedited mini dv tapes in the cupboard that give a headache to someone else. If I'd known what a burden these would become, I'd never have bothered in the first place! 😄 or deleted a lot soon after, leaving only people....

Thanks for any advice!

Chaz

Last edited:

Terfyn

Bore Da Chaz
I think it would be best to transfer any tape based video to your PC. Copy to DVD or if you have a working camera transfer via EZCap or another capture card (that works!)
Then invest in a decent video editor and reshape your videos to your heart's content.:thumbsup:

Hope you are not in a Lockdown area. We are still clear - just.

SHIELD Agency

Novice Member
The longer the tapes are kept, the more trouble you will have capturing its footage to a modern PC. Windows 10 has no official support for FireWire any more, but old Win 7 device drivers will still do the job and FireWire (IEE1394) cards with Texas Instruments chipset work best to connect camcorder->PC. But I would not use analog USB capture devices, because you loose quality and, most important, the split information for those old tapes. Transferring by FireWire can automatically cut original footage so every camera take is a single scene. Capturing analog, you have one 60 min. scene had have much more manual editing to do. Look at eBay to get some old MacroSystem AvioDVD/Kron/Prestige hardware for 100-200 USD. Those were analog+DV stand-alone video editing systems that can capture the footage, edit it and send the finished movie to a built in DVD-Recorder. :thumbsup:

Roryquo

Novice Member
Along the same lines. I've spent the last 2 months trying to get hold of a video capture device but keep hitting a brick wall. I have hundreds of tapes - VHSC, VHS, SVHS and DV mini/large format. This is proving a huge problem and my patience is growing very thin!!! Everytime I think I have a solution the item proves to be useless. I have a Premiere 6.5 editing computer but this has given be huge problems - Can't put edit to DVD, Export Premiere edit to tape but my Panasonic DVD recorder puts a good few glitches on the DVD!! At every turn there seems another problem.
I decided to go with my Windows 8.1 laptop and digitise the tapes to be edited on there but for 3 weeks have been unsuccessful in finding capture hardware - Pinnacle MovieBox, etc. Any ideas? Be gentle, this has got me simmering!! Cheers Mike

D

Deleted member 765458

For converter software once on PC

Roryquo

Novice Member
My problem is getting the tapes on to my (8.1 windows) PC via Firewire and composite connections. Until I do this software is of no use. Thanks for the post. The programmes look interesting but that's for the future. Cheers

SHIELD Agency

Novice Member
I think the Pinnacle and Canopus FireWire -> USB boxes are no longer produced (for years). As written above... Look at eBay to get some old MacroSystem AvioDVD/Kron/Prestige hardware for 100-200 USD. Those were analog+DV stand-alone video editing systems that can capture the footage, edit it and send the finished movie to a built in DVD-Recorder.

D

Deleted member 765458

Well here is Win 10 PC not alas Win 8.1 laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 765458

Anyone used one of these

Last edited by a moderator:

Roryquo

Novice Member
Hi Shield. I've been looking at the Casablanca system today and think it could be of good use to me. Only down side is buying on Ebay and hope they have a good returns policy if it doesn't do as it should. I'll let you know and thank you for your interest. Much appreciated. Jabba thanks again for you input - I've looked at a card and will still keep this in mind. Cheers and all the best

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom