How to dodge multiroom...

steviedog

Banned
Hey, we have Sky HD in our living room and are looking for a way to have it upstairs as well without paying the extra £10 a month for multiroom.

After doing a bit of research I think I may have found a way around it, but could someone confirm this please?

Our Sky HD is connected to the plasma in the living room using HDMI. If I run a s-video cable from the box to the upstairs TV which is an old style CRT, will this work as far as video and audio is concerned?

I then plan to buy a Magic Eye from Play.com to be able to change the channel from upstairs.

Am I missing anything?

Starburst

Distinguished Member
SKY were selling TVlink (aka Magic etc) back in 1998 when SKY D launched so it's no great secret but as suttons says the £10 multiroom means two independent boxes with the same PAY channel lineup and the tvlink one box/one channel on 2 or more televisions.

S-video is video only so you would need to add cabling for audio as well or just use the TV link which provides video/audio although quality is dependent upon the tv you are piping it to.

logiciel

Am I missing anything?
Videosenders -they send the audio and video up and the remote control back down - without a cable in sight.

PaddyS

Thanks, just had a look in to them.

Would this one be ok do you think?

Most videos senders will work to a certain extent. The 2.4 frequency senders will display the picture and sound reasonably but will suffer interferance with your broadband and other household appliances etc...

I have one myself, tip is to turn of the laptop when watching tv :smashin:

doobds

If you are planning to run a cable to the bedroom then an HDMI splitter would allow you to run a second set at HD resolution via the splitter and a second HDMI cable(depending on cable length), and running an additional coax cable would allow you to control the channels in the bedroom via magic eye using the RF2 port.

I have recently done this using this splitter - works perfectly

1080P 1 Input 2 Output 1x2 HDMI SPLITTER HD Sky PS3 360 on eBay (end time 22-Jan-10 13:53:33 GMT)

I found the previous/other cheap £4-5 splitter I ordered did not work so went fro above

Last edited:

steve69

yep agree with the above.
the video sender is the way to go. i had a pair of them before i went for the multiroom and it worked a treat, but like paddy said if your router or any other device thats on the 2.4ghz then you do get interference.
with myself it was just my router that i had to turn off and the job was a good one, pic and sound was great, just had to remember to take the remote upstairs before we bought a second one lol.
the ones that i had were a Philips pair and they did the job great, they had 2 scarts on them so you could also hook the spare one upto a dvd player or something like that, anything with a scart. :smashin:

these are the ones i used http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...lips-SLV3220-05-Wireless-TV-Link/Product.html

Last edited:

PaddyS

yep agree with the above.
the video sender is the way to go. i had a pair of them before i went for the multiroom and it worked a treat, but like paddy said if your router or any other device thats on the 2.4ghz then you do get interference.
with myself it was just my router that i had to turn off and the job was a good one, pic and sound was great, just had to remember to take the remote upstairs before we bought a second one lol.
the ones that i had were a Philips pair and they did the job great, they had 2 scarts on them so you could also hook the spare one upto a dvd player or something like that, anything with a scart. :smashin:

these are the ones i used Play.com (UK) : Philips SLV3220/05 Wireless TV Link : Electronics - Free Delivery

Had the same problemo Steve - but you can buy a genuine Sky HD remote off Amazo for £7-8 which solves that haha. Also a Powermid IR sensor will change the channel for you if the video senders IR is duff (which mines was)

neilball

Hey, we have Sky HD in our living room and are looking for a way to have it upstairs as well without paying the extra £10 a month for multiroom.

After doing a bit of research I think I may have found a way around it, but could someone confirm this please?

Our Sky HD is connected to the plasma in the living room using HDMI. If I run a s-video cable from the box to the upstairs TV which is an old style CRT, will this work as far as video and audio is concerned?

I then plan to buy a Magic Eye from Play.com to be able to change the channel from upstairs.

Am I missing anything?

You need to make sure that you have a coax going from RF2 on the Sky box to your bedroom TV, this will allow you to use the magic eye in the bedroom. You could then just connect the coax to the upstairs TV and watch Sky over RF. It will not be quite as good as S-vid but it is the simplest option and is often good enough for most peoples secondary viewing. You will only have SD, not HD (any HD channels are downscaled to SD for transmission over scart, S-Vid, composite or RF automatically by the Sky box), so if you might want HD in future then also run in a HDMI cable (or a couple of Cat5e/Cat6 patch leads) at the same time as any other cabling so you have the cables ready for the future.

sunil1234

If you are planning to run a cable to the bedroom then an HDMI splitter would allow you to run a second set at HD resolution via the splitter and a second HDMI cable(depending on cable length), and running an additional coax cable would allow you to control the channels in the bedroom via magic eye using the RF2 port.

I have recently done this using this splitter - works perfectly

1080P 1 Input 2 Output 1x2 HDMI SPLITTER HD Sky PS3 360 on eBay (end time 22-Jan-10 13:53:33 GMT)

I found the previous/other cheap £4-5 splitter I ordered did not work so went fro above

yeah but he has only got a crt in the bedroom mate (no hdmi input)

re videosenders, you can also buy 5.8ghz ones (shop around, below link is just an example for the OP)

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801&productId=1500521033&langId=-1&engine=froogle&keyword=5.8GHZ+Wireless+Video+Sender&_$ja=tsid:11527%7Ccc:%7Cprd:9004296%7Ccat:Tv+And+Video+Senders

logiciel

Thanks, just had a look in to them.
Would this one be ok do you think?
Yes, fine, and there are dozens of other makes - saves you all that wiring hassle.
They give you 4 frequencies to choose from so you can usually get over any interference problem.

steve69

Had the same problemo Steve - but you can buy a genuine Sky HD remote off Amazo for £7-8 which solves that haha. Also a Powermid IR sensor will change the channel for you if the video senders IR is duff (which mines was)

ouch paddy thats a royal pain in the butt with the IR being duff, i think i would have had to take it back unless it was bought online. a phonecall would of been made either way i think.
with the remote, what i did was ordered one from sky interactive ages ago when they were giving them anyway free, even the p&p, it was the remote with the keypad inside the remote. so i was happy with that.
iirc i think it was off here i had the hint about it. its still going strong as i use the sender and remote to send sky into the spare bedroom where she uses that for a changing room come makeup room as they do.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom