1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to do slo-mo properly and how to render properly? Help!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by mtx, Jul 31, 2005.

1. mtx

mtx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently working on a gaming "frag highlight" video. My objective is to put some slow-motion effects at some interesting parts of the video. I attempted to use Sony Vegas 5.0 to do the slo-mo as I heard it was one of the best programs for that purpose.

I was playing around with the program (first time using it) and this is what I produced so far for one clip. I used velocity envelopes (slow parts at 24%) to create the slow-motion and also made supersampling 2x at the slow parts. I uploaded the video so click this link to check out what I did (only 1.34MB), http://s88274840.onlinehome.us/test.zip .

Two problems however:

1. The slow motion parts arent really "slow", instead it feels like lag. It's playing frame by frame which is NOT what I want. What I want is to play certain parts of the video slowly and smoothly like you see in sports replays.

2. The quality of the video is relatively garbage and the size is an enormous 4.15MB for only 14 seconds! I rendered the movie as an .avi using the DivX 6.0 codec at 640x480.

I really have no idea how to fix problem 1. I was told to add supersampling but it seems like there's no difference with or without it. I was also told to record my gameplay at a higher FPS (this one's using 60) but there's still no difference (used 30 before).

What can I do to create better slow motion effects and get better rendering quality with a smaller file size?

2. mtx

mtx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?

3. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi MTX, I think your problem lies in the fundamental nature of video games. Unlike real life, the number of frames per second generated by the game software is fixed, the only way to slow the game down and keep it smooth would be if you could find some software that was capable of 'inventing' frames between the ones you have captured (this would involve calculating movement of all the objects in the frame and redrawing them in a position midway between the last and next frames). I'm sure there is software out there (some of the high end Avid stuff for example) but I'd bet it's mega pricey if it does the job well.

4. mtx

mtx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I use FRAPS to record my video games at 60 fps. Probably not good enough eh? Should I record my computer screen with a DVC?

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    The best commercial retiming software I've used is the Kronos tool which is part of the furnace 2 plugin suite from The Foundry. The only retimer better than this is the old kodak cinespeed feature in Cineon which was sadly snuffed out 7 years ago.

What you want is a vector based interpolating retimer ( like the Kronos tool above). You normally run an analysis ( to generate a vector field) followed by a warp of the original frames. ( the best ones generate entirely new frames rather than just inbetweens).

This is exactly the same technology that creates the Matrix bullet time effect.