How to do dolby 5.1 over 6 channel power amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by JamesJ, Dec 30, 2011.

1. JamesJ

JamesJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a 6 channel Rane poweramp and I want to put it to use on my PC doing 5.1/6.1/whatever I can.

I'm after some advice - I have 6 wharfedale Zaldek speakers.

I currently have 2 of 3.5mm jack to 2 x 6.35mm mono jack leads.

So I assume this will work for front and rear speakers - correct??

So what do I buy for the centre speaker?? Just a 3.5mm mono to 6.35mm mono lead??

Thanks guys

2. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    If you do that then you lose the .1 signal to your active subwoofer. So just use 3.5mm stereo to whatever your rane uses and other cable to your sub.

I'm be more concerned plugging soundcard direct into a poweramp, I know you have software pre-amp but if you forget or windows ramps it back up could be pretty nasty.

3. JamesJ

JamesJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a little bit confused as to how 5.1/6.1 etc works to be honest, i've never used it. My reason for doing this is watching Blu-Ray movies, I don't have a ps3/other blu ray player, so do it all on pc.

The amp is fine from a soundcard, has rudementary volume controls for each of the 6 channels, so it can't go out of control.

Does the .1 of the 5.1 mean that it's using 2 channels rather than one? The amp is 100 watts rms per channel at 8 ohms, I can bridge channels on the amp etc...but I don't really need/want that much power in a room lol.

4. JamesJ

JamesJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have an "active sub" as such. I'm just using the 6 channel amp and I have 6 largeish speakers. They have 2x8" drivers in, so one/two would do me nicely as a sub. Sorry if i explained that badly

5. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Centre is just one channel so your 6th channel on your poweramp will be unused. Unless you have a passive subwoofer, or you can bridge or bi-amp to your centre speaker (require a amp and speaker that allows bi-amp/bridging)

Be careful with bridging and biamping if you don't know what you're doing can blow up your amp. But if you just leave 6th channel unused that's ok.

As for power running 1.2kw of power plus another 750W for the sub. Not that means much anyway.

No .1 is the subwoofer channel, in a typical 5.1 system the 5 channels are powered by a 5 channel of amplification with the extra channel in a active subwoofer.

What I'm doing is centre pre-out from the processor into a poweramp, and cable loops from out to in on the same poweramp and thus converts it into mono-stereo poweramp (two channels, duplicated signal per side) and that's powering a centre speaker with bi-wire terminals, with the connecting plates removed. Left is for bass, right is for treble.

But there is no rule for that, since you have a 6 channel amplifier then you could use the remaining channel for the sub.

6. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    I'd leave the 6th channel unused and perhaps look into a passive subwoofer.

7. JamesJ

JamesJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yer, i think what i'll do is leave the 6th channel unused and try to get it to work. The sound card supports 6.1, so i guess i could try that.

8. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    6.1 is I think with a center rear speaker.

9. JamesJ

JamesJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i see, but are blu rays encoded to support that??

I thought the general standard was 5.1?? I know it goes up to 7.1, but i've never seen any media files that support it