1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to diy two digiboxes.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mikeeastgate, Oct 4, 2004.

1. mikeeastgate

mikeeastgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    We have freeview (integrated into the tv), and a sky digibox.

Child number one watches cartoon network (too much!), while child two wants cbeebies. Sometimes they both want their channel at the same time!

We can satisfy Sophia by using freeview to view cbeebies.

We would like to send Tom to the small portable tv in the dining room to watch Cartoon Network.

Can I buy a second hand digibox. Then split the cable from the dish so it feeds both digiboxes. Then we just take the subscription card to the other digibox when we want to.

Is this the best solution - what other options exist?

If so - how do I split the cable - I assume a Y connector + suitable cable - any suggestions where to buy?

Thanks in advance.

ME

2. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not sure if what you are after is possible. I can give you 2 other options

1. Buy a video sender. You can plug the sky into this and have the receiver attached to the 2nd tv. You should be able to control the sky box from the 2nd tv.

2. Use the RF2 output on the back of the Sky box. Use some Coax cable to connect from here to the 2nd TV. Get a Sky Magic Eye and you should be able to watch from the 2nd TV and change channels. You could make do without the magic eye, but you would not be able to change channels from the 2nd TV.

Hope this helps

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't move the card from one box to the other. The card needs to be married to a box, and Sky will only allow you to marry it up to one...

Second subscription from Sky is £10 a month and you get all the channels you currently have mirrored on your second box. You can buy a second hand box (normally go for around the £35 - £40 mark in the classifieds) and a quad LNB and do it youreself quite easily...

There's a quad LNB for sale in the classifieds now that is very reasonably priced... :D

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) You can't split a satellite cable
    2) You can't swap the card between boxes.

Dave

5. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    So you're saying the only way to do the two room thing is through paying £10 month extra?

6. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    If you're just going to watch on a small portable, then just get a video sender.

7. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As said above - just use the second RF out on the back of the digibox to the portabe telly.

The only drawback is you cannot watch two different channels at the same time, ( but you could watch two of the same channels on both TV's at the same time ).

Also, if you go to Comet or Maplin and buy the Sky Eye kit you get a 2nd remote control and a gadget that plugs in between the second TV and the RF2 socket on the digi-box.

This gadget sends the remote control signals to the digi-box from the second TV via the co-ax cable that carries the signal.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The £10 multiroom option is for watching subscription channels on a second digibox (channel package the same as the original smartcard has).
    If you only want to watch FTA or FTV channels on a second digibox then you don't have to pay anything above the cost of the hardware/installation and getting a FTV card (if required).

While splitting a single cable to run two digiboxes is frought with problems just replacing the single LNB with a twin or quad LNB will give you the satellite feeds to run upto four digital sat tuners off one dish.
    Another additional subscription charges are dependent upon what you want to watch on these additional STB's.

9. mikeeastgate

mikeeastgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks to all for the advice.

So to summarise
    - You cannot split the coax between dish and digibox, but can achieve similar by using dual or quad LMB - no doubt I'd need to pay someone to go up the chimney - don't fancy being that high myself.

- And SKY don't like you to share one card between two boxes (although I have experience that this effect only kicks in on some channels) - have taken my card on hols to Spain (to ensure continuity of Cartoon Network). Perhaps it takes them time to find out (How?)

- But the easy low tech solution is Sky eye.

- Unless I want to pay £10 per month for the second subscription (NO)

Cheers - ME

10. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have Sky + in the lounge.
    Connected from the SKY + box is a cable to loft amplifier which must support Sky TV Link (Bought this from Global digital products who sell t.v.link (the TV link is available in Argos £14 - Sky is £24).
    From the amplifier, which supports 4 outlets, are coaxial cables to 4 sets-all have a tv link mouse so I can control SKY + in any room.
    The disadvantage of this is I cannot get full benefits of the sound process.

Because I had the original SKY Box I placed this in the kitchen
    When the dual SKY PLus LNB was installed I ran a satellite cable from the SKY LnB into the kitchen/ I sorted out the cable run and the SKY engineer coupled up for me.
    The old Sky Box is run on a £20 Sky card which gives me basic free to view programmes and also the full beneifts of the sound process. Apart from ther initial outlet there is no cost to this whatsoever.

The benefits.

I can watch all programmes on the SKY + system in four different locations
    or watch Football in the lounge and Mrs can watch Coronation Street in the kitchen-both at the same time or we can both watch the same programme in two different locations.

The only disadvantage of this system if we cannot watch two different
    paid for Sky channels at the same time in two different rooms - but for
    90% of the benefits we do not pay the extra £10 per month for that privilege.

11. nigels0

nigels0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The BBC channels are in the clear so no card needed - and the Sky card is only married to the box for Movies Sports etc. You should be able to move the card around OK for the other channels.

Splitting the cable is a problem because the STB powers the LNB (on the end of the dish) as well as sending signalling info - having two boxes wiould be bad news. If you ensured one box was off (mains plug out) when using the other then you would be OK but this is very much not a good idea as one time or another you'll forget and then cause some damage. Best to run two cable feeds to a twin LNB.