How to distinguish amp/speaker quality?

Lee James

Standard Member
Reaction score
How can you distinguish between amp and speakers when you listen to them?

I mean like, how do you know if it's the amp that sounds great or the speakers, or if the fault is with the amp or with the speakers?

I realise that you're going to hear the difference if you upgrade either your amp or your speakers, but I'm just about to buy my first ever amp and speakers all at once, so I have no way to tell what's good and what's bad.

Can the audible effect an amp has on the sound be put into words? Likewise for speakers?

In my opinion it is a mixture of the two that you hear and you cannot differentiate between them when using 1 amp and 1 pair of speakers.

The only way to tell is to audition a number of speakers with the amp of your choice or visa versa - that way if every speaker sets you use sound forward with the amp you can be pretty sure that the amp itself is forward.

I would be concerned if you are "just about" to buy without knowing what is "good and bad" - though more accurately it should be what you like or dont. I would recommend that you take a trip down to your local hifi store and audition the equipment you are thinking of buying and ask them to also "test it" with different amps or speakers at the same price point.

Morally you should then buy from that store but that is up to you.

Thats a good question Dizzy and one that has been anwered well.

Personally, I have noticed considerable improvement every time I have upgraded. That is the keyword.

My first DD/DTS amp was a Sony STRDB780 which sounded superb and a great first insight into DD surround over pro logic. I then bought a Denon 2805 which whilst inherently the same i.e DD and DTS, just sounded better.

I have since bought a Pioneer ax5ai which is amazing. Once again inherently the same but the detail eeked out of movie sound tracks and CDs has been entirely noticable - which stands to reason as my first amp was £300.00, my last amp £1000.00. I have watched movies of late which I have seen before via DVD and I note sonic nuance that I have not heard before and I think that is it in a nut shell.

One thing to note between the £300.00 and the dearer amp is that the Pioneer needs TLC, patient set up and a careful hand. Where as the sony was more plug and play.

You cannot really buy a bad amp/speaker combo imo. Even low budget amps will sound great and the forum regulars are always here to help regarding compatibility.

Pete.

My trouble is, I don't live anywhere near any places that would let me demo speakers. (I live in Llandudno, North Wales.) There's a little TV & Hifi shop round the corner from me, but they don't have much in stock, and they don't do demonstrations. Frankly, they don't even seem to like talking to people in there! I went in there just before I bought my plasma to see if I could demo a screen but they weren't very enthusiastic about letting me look at anything. And I totally disagreed with their advice (they told me I'd be better off buying a rear projection TV than a plasma, which is totally not what I wanted).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom