How to dispose of old petrol

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I have 1 - 2 liters of unleaded petrol that I use for my lawnmower. Last time I had it serviced, the guy said not to use petrol that had been left to stand all winter due to something to do with crystallisation in the fuel and problems it can cause in the engine of the mower. I have checked with the local waste disposal and they mention that they offer a collection service for this, but it is £40! I'm not paying that for a couple of liters of fuel. What are my other options?

rousetafarian

I have 1 - 2 liters of unleaded petrol that I use for my lawnmower. Last time I had it serviced, the guy said not to use petrol that had been left to stand all winter due to something to do with crystallisation in the fuel and problems it can cause in the engine of the mower. I have checked with the local waste disposal and they mention that they offer a collection service for this, but it is £40! I'm not paying that for a couple of liters of fuel. What are my other options?
Local Waste Recycling place? Aka the 'tip'

balidey

Distinguished Member
I think we all know the best option. Find somewhere suitable to just burn it. Obviously make sure you do it in a safe manor.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Burn it?

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Local waste recycling centre doesn't list in the can or can't be recycled sections, so guess nobody ever bothers.
Yes I guess I could burn it, but not sure I have any suitable to burn it in.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Does it look OK?
I've stored petrol for months on end in cans, for use in track motorbikes.
It's only when it goes 'gummy' that it needs binning.
If it still looks normal, use it.
Presumably the mower has an in-line filter, so the worst that will happen is having to clean that.

John7

Petrol is highly volatile so if you pour it on the ground it will evaporate in a few minutes. Don't pour it on grass as it will probably kill it!

balidey

Distinguished Member
For that much petrol, probably not best to burn it IN something. Do you have a large garden with a bad area of lawn or a compost type area, as that's an ideal area to burn it. I would dig a small shallow, poor about a mug full in and light with long lit stick, don't lean in with a match. When all burnt, leave for at least half an hour and repeat.
Obviously that is what I would do and anyone taking that advise does so at their own risk.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Does it look OK?
I've stored petrol for months on end in cans, for use in track motorbikes.
It's only when it goes 'gummy' that it needs binning.
If it still looks normal, use it.
Presumably the mower has an in-line filter, so the worst that will happen is having to clean that.
Not checked but last used Sept/Oct and not touched since. It's been in the shed all winter, and I thought it was the cold that affects it.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
If I pour it somewhere, will it 100% evaporate? I have an area behind one of my sheds that I could pour it, but I don't want anything to remain.
Saying that, if I just took the lid off the container, would it not just evaporate then?

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Leave the lid off and let it evaporate.
If you want it to evaporate quicker, pour it onto a flat surface that it won't sink into.

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
I have a vague recollection about a member on her talking about petrol and storing it. He came across as quite an authority on the subject. Possibly @NewfieDrool i'm sure Irongiant will no doubt be a long shortly and directly link to the thread in that magical way that he does.

Edit: I've found it myself but it doesn't seem to mention the effects of storing it long term.
Storing Petrol

Personally I'd probably pour it into my car and mix with a full tank.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I have a vague recollection about a member on her talking about petrol and storing it. He came across as quite an authority on the subject. Possibly @NewfieDrool i'm sure Irongiant will no doubt be a long shortly and directly link to the thread in that magical way that he does.

Edit: I've found it myself but it doesn't seem to mention the effects of storing it long term.
Storing Petrol

Personally I'd probably pour it into my car and mix with a full tank.
That won't help, my car is diesel.
The guy who serviced the motor says it crystallises in the cold, then those crystals clog up the engine. The most annoying thing is that this is all over about £1.50 worth of unleaded! :)
Think I'll just pour it onto an old bit of patio and let it evaporate.

k17chy

Distinguished Member
Just use it in your lawn mower. Just fired mine up after the winter. Never drain the tank and always starts first pull.