How to dismantle an IMMENSE old cathode tube Grundig

brendanxx

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Maybe a strange request. I have a 20 year old + Grundig TV which takes two strong men to lift (it has special bars you attach). I am 67 with a bad back and in France and know no-one to help me get it from the first floor to the tip. So, I am toying with the idea of dismantling it and removing it piecemeal. Is this a good idea? Might there be some residual electricity lurking somewhere in it? And why the hell is it so heavy!!!!
Any advice most welcome
Brendan
IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG

Not a good idea (or easy) to dismantle it and you won't save much weight either. Most of the weight will be the picture tube - it is vary heavy because it is lead glass and about 1 inch thick at the front. There will probably be some stored charge in the PSU capacitors as well.

It will probably be easier to pay someone to take it away for you - maybe there are some local waste collectors in your area you could contact if you have no friends/family who could help?

How long has it been turned off/unplugged? I believe capacitors tend to have discharged themselves after a few weeks. Although as mentioned a lot of the weight is in a single component so even dismantled there's going to be a heavy bit to lift.

Can you not introduce yourself to your neighbours?

If you can't find a willing volunteer, I would slide it face down on a piece of carpet. That way you are not trying to lift it!

The capacitors will discharge to a safe voltage in a matter of minutes, so no danger of a shock if you do take it apart. As well as the tube (70+% of the weight), there will be some large transformers and also the speakers that will be fairly heavy.

Is that a pipe coming out of the tv on the lower left hand side? :confused:

Maybe it's some sort of overflow for when watching Blue Planet.....

Brick?

Is that a pipe coming out of the tv on the lower left hand side? :confused:

Maybe it's some sort of overflow for when watching Blue Planet.....
That would be the EHT lead which carries a very high voltage to the tube. It can remain charged from the tube and active for some time after the TV is switched off.

Last edited:
That would be the EHT lead

It can't be.
The “pipe” object in question can be seen at the LHS of the pic next to the bookcase at the base of the TV where it's sitting on the old suitcase.
The EHT cable is thinner, isn't long enough and can't protrude because the back is still on the set.

Maybe the OP could tell us what the object in the pic is?

Last edited:
That would be the EHT lead which carries a very high voltage to the tube. It can remain charged from the tube and active for some time after the TV is switched off.

My post was made in jest. The "pipe" obviously is not part of the television; although the photo gives the impression that it is.

For my sins, I spent a small part of my career in consumer electronics working for Grundig. During my time with them; none of the television's incorporated any plumbing.

Of course; I'm not aware of design changes made after I left the company....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom