How to disable overscan on 720p/1080i(hdmi)?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by totalz, Mar 3, 2013.

1. totalz

totalz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PDP-505HDG, old, 1280x768. Have been testing with PS3 and PC through HDMI.

An obvious overscan with PS3. Then tested with PC+nvidia, and found out there's a 5% overscan.

Is there a way to disable the overscan. How to get into the service mode?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. vidjo

vidjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Might be this model has an 'orbiter' screen protection built in - it slowly moves the picture, one pixel at a time, in an orbit to reduce the possibility of screen burn. Look in the menu - think it might be under power options.

3. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    There will be no way to disable the overscan in the user menus, however, you may be able to do this via the integrator menu. In the integrator menu there may be the option to disable the orbiter - this may also disable overscan.

If you used the PC input then this will most likely not have overscan applied, but you would need the correct gear to convert to HDMI to an analogue RGB input (I guess it is) and strip out the HDCP.

4. totalz

totalz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies :clap:

Have not check the power option menu yet, hope it's there.

I can get into the integrator menu, but I'm not sure how to go on as there's no menu available. Is integrator menu the service menu?

Actually, both PS3 and PC are overscanned, and I don't think the orbiter has kicked in!! However, if I use my DTV box, I see no overscan, but I can see image going up and down in 1 pixel, so I guess that's the orbiter. So, I'm getting a bit confuse, it seems the other way round. Overscan = no orbiter, no overscan = orbiter!? All are tested under [email protected]

Any history on why old plasma using such a weird AR on resolution 1280x768 = 15:9!

cheers.

5. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    My understanding is orbiters are always off with overscan on, it can't shift the pixels.
    My PX80 was a 768 they have non square pixels.

6. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Yes, integrator menu is sevice menu. I looked into RS232 control for my Pioneer 507XD and found this; it describes how to get to integrator menu plus how to disable orbiter, however, there is no way no turn overscan off on my 507 (although I believe PC input has no overscan).

As Scooby said, normally overscan is off when orbiter is off on modern TVs - but yours isn't a modern TV so may be different.

Re 15:9 - the pixels will be rectangular not square to give a 16:9 ratio. Edit: sorry, Scooby already explained that one.

7. totalz

totalz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Scooby2000
    @mikelj
    Thanks for the doc. Strangely, there's no effect when I press up/down!

I was thinking about non-square pixel, but did found plasma panel with 1366x768. So with my set, I guess no point getting dot-by-dot using VGA PC input, the height will be "stretched".

So the question now is what cause the 505HDG think it needs to overscan with PS3 HDMI output. With PC, I can set smaller resolution to achieve 684p full screen, and it looks OK! But with PS3, overscan could kill a lot of games!

Also, the black level isn't as good as expected, any way to improve that? The brightness setting doesn't seem to help.

cheers :)

8. vidjo

vidjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    1280 x 768 seems to be a computer screen resolution that I've seen on many PC's. I have had 17" monitors with that format. 1366 x 768 is the current resolution of "HD ready" TV's and matches the 16 x 9 widescreen format.
    Black levels were not as good on the older plasmas. Nothing you can really do about that - there is an inherent level of illumination that you can't go below or the screen will not work. Later screens have a dark layer to prevent you seeing this effect.

9. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Don't forget it's a pretty old model. With the exception of maybe the Panasonic Pro screens around the time, I don't think any screens could display video/film content (i.e. DVDs and broadcast TV) without overscan. Overscan was there for a reason and was definitely desirable with certain sources such as analogue TV.

My 507 black levels are pants compared to modern screens (and I would argue with anyone who said they weren't great at the time:)); your screen is two generations prior to mine. It's something you should accept and set the brightness level correctly rather than turning is down too low as you'll just lose shadow detail in the picture.

10. totalz

totalz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that overscan was there for a reason and mainly for the analogue tv signal. But happens on HDMI, digital, 720p/1080i, come on... and no option to disable it :thumbsdow

Honestly, I get better black levels with my old MIJ Sharp Aqua 37" LCD (with stupid EDID), which was released around the same time within months. Probably a bold statement in a Plasma forum :zonked::zonked:

I should praise it a little though, "great" speakers, at least for a tv :smashin:

There must be a reason it thinks it need to overscan, I want to know why.

cheers mike.

11. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Don't forget that there was no HD (Blu-ray at least) when your plasma was released, so it's pretty easy to understand when overscan is applied to HDMI inputs (which would generally be receiving upscaled DVD). As far as I know, ever other consumer set would operate on the same manner - it was only the advent of 1080p screens (and Blu-ray) that saw the introduction of 1:1 pixel mapping modes.

I wouldn't argue with you at all regarding the black levels your 505 vs your Sharp LCD - betcha the Pioneer's picture murders the LCD's on all other counts though:).

12. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Don't forget that there was no HD (Blu-ray at least) when your plasma was released, so it's pretty easy to understand why overscan is applied to HDMI inputs (by far the vast majority of HDMI inputs would have had a DVD player as the source). As far as I know, ever other consumer set would operate in the same manner - it was only the advent of 1080p screens (and Blu-ray) that saw the introduction of 1:1 pixel mapping.

I wouldn't argue with you at all regarding the black levels of your 505 vs your Sharp LCD - betcha the Pioneer's picture murders the LCD's on all other counts though:).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  13. vidjo

vidjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    To add to Mikes comments - TV was at best 14 x 9 so with a little overscan it would just reach the sides and perhaps only leave a small dark strip each side. With a 4 x 3 standard picture it would be wider strips or zoomed to fill the height with some cut off at the sides.

The TV technology changes so fast - as soon as you get something set up it all changes. I have a 508 bought for Blu-ray 16 x 9 at full 1920 x 1080 resolution. Told TV will remain as 14 x 9 and about 6 months after I bought it, HD TV 16 x 9 becomes available - so the inbuilt Freeview tuner is not a lot of good and had to revert to external tuners again.

14. totalz

totalz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But there could be those zoom/cinema display mode to play around if the source need to overscan. Wouldn't be so hard to support it, but then no new functions for new models :D And if I can understand why the signal from 16:9 DTV set-top-box is not overscanned, may be I can turn this around.

I wouldn't argue too, but at this stage I will still pick the Sharp over Pioneer :smoke: , except the size! At least when I have all the advance options from a PC for tuning. But I guess the Pioneer will kick ass with ordinary Bluray/DVD player.

After these few days of testing, I've been hearing electronic hiss from the panel, could be the fan, but that's a bit too loud. Should I worry about it?

@vidjo
    Sales will say anything when they are selling the stuff, unfortunately.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  15. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Sorry, I've no ideas on that one.

Ah sorry, I didn't appreciate you use it as a PC monitor too. I agree with you - there's no way I'd want a plasma as a PC monitor (but my preference is plasma all the way for TV/Blu-ray).

Definately a hiss rather than a high-pitch buzz? Plasmas do tend to buzz, more-so when required to display white over a large area of the screen. But it varies between models and of course also depends on room acoustics and a person's hearing!

If it's definately fans, then I've no idea I'm afraid as I've never owned a plasma with fans.

16. totalz

totalz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mikelj,

You are right on the high-pitch buzz, quite annoying for times. I found that on hdmi input, if I unplug the hdmi, the buzz is much lower, and if I plugin the hdmi from a switcher even with no signal, the buzz is higher, very strange. I was expecting may be 2 fans to help exhaust the heat. I saw an old Fujitsu plasma had 2, my Sharp has 2...

Anyway, is the G5 panel operates at 75Hz?