1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to demo a DLP projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by VirusKiller, Oct 5, 2003.

1. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    PJ technology seems to evolved to a point on the learning curve where I am now seriously considering getting one. Specifically, PJs with XGA+ resolutions, CRs > 1000:1, minimal/zero screen door or rainbows, and low fan noise are now becoming available at around the £2,500 mark. Realistically, I would like to buy something that would last me the best part of 5 years without feeling the constant need to upgrade. :D :rolleyes:

I think that from the mass of useful information on this forum and elsewhere the NEC HT1000 might just be the one, particularly if I can grab an ex-demo model. I might be able to stretch to other comparable (ex-demo) DLP alternatives.

My only concern is that I've only ever seen a HTPJ once (a short, far from ideal, demo in Bangalore of all places). My eyes are fast (looking at 50Hz 32" TVs is horrible and I have to ramp up PC monitor refreshes to a minumum of 85Hz).

I would welcome advice on the best way to demo a PJ, particularly to check rainbows and how long I should demo for to check for fatigue.

Many thanks,
    Joel

P.S. I have pretty much discounted LCD at the moment, in favour of the higher contrast ratios available with DLP - remember, I want this to last for 5 years...

2. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found "Attack of the Clones" to be a good rainbow showing film. Anything with lightsabres in a dark place. Rubbish film though :p

You can "force" them by flicking you eyes from side to side on the screen.

It really depends on the PJ though. I found the X1 to be rainbow city. HT1000 had a few. Z91E had none.

And on Saturday I saw the "new" Infocus 5700, which was amazing, could have been at the cinema.

I do wonder though how much eyestrain is from "looking" for the rainbows. My eyes hurt a wee bit after demo-ing 5 projectors over an hour and half.

Had I just sat down and watched a film with a cup of tea and a biscuit .... would I have have had the same strain ?

3. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks Noger. I guess my challenge is finding a good place to demo one, or else have a day-trip out to Nexnix!

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

"Looking for rainbows" is a sure way to find them, I reckon - the issue is whether in normal viewing conditions you are distracted by them. The same apples to screendoor - if your vision is OK you can focus on bright areas of an image and see screendoor (unless you're sitting about 2xscreenwidth away). The question then arises whether you're watching the projector or the movie.............. my 2c, others may/will disagree.......

On the basis of market movements over the last 2 years, it depends on whether you "have to have" the newest/latest/greatest projector................. in 12 months time 1280x720DLP will have fallen into the upper entry level, in the same way that it's now doing with LCD. That's not a reason to stay out of the market, a good image now should still be a good image in a couple of years time - lamp replacement and reliability aside.

Sean G.

5. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Cheers Sean. BTW, are there any other shortish throw DLP machines other than the HT1000?

6. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can stretch to £3000 , an Infocus 5700 can be demoed at Sevenoaks.

Couldn't see anyone wanting to "upgrade" from that for many years. No rainbows, no screen door. Looked just like a cinema picture to me.

Throw might be a problem though.

7. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Yeah. Looks perfect apart from the throw - a 4.5 foot wide screen isn't exactly what I had in mind...

I think I may have to reconsider the room set-up (which is possible, but not preferred).

8. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I have the same trouble, and it is a very bright pj, not sure how that would look on a small-ish screen.

Can a projector be TOO bright ??:confused:

9. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Noger, do you know if the 5700 have a low power mode. Nothing mentioned in the literature - looks to me as if it's optimized out of the box.

Joel

10. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The 5700 has a low power mode which gives you 80% of full output.