How to delete HDD Partition maps (MAC)?

Gaslight

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This is probably a very amateur question but I am having trouble formatting a 3.5" HDD

Its a NAS drive, which ended up with problems after a power cut from the recent storm.

I wanted to try and format it to see if I could get it to work before committing to purchasing a new unit. On the NAS it showed as IO errors, and its been stated online to try an external format and then reinsert it 50/50 it may work.

However, I cant seem to delete the partition maps, or change them or anything. I presume it would be advisable to do this before reinserting the drive to begin its RAID rebuild which is automatic on my QNAP.

Any advice would be welcomed!

hdd.png

Do you have an Intel processor or an M1 Apple Processor Mac?

I still use an Intel Mac and for dealing with this sort of task would use a bootable USB or CD with GPartedLive on it.

Not an option on an M1 mac though

Do you have an Intel processor or an M1 Apple Processor Mac?

I still use an Intel Mac and for dealing with this sort of task would use a bootable USB or CD with GPartedLive on it.

Not an option on an M1 mac though

Its an Intel Macbook , but as its an external drive Im formatting (to use in a NAS), does it matter?

I just want to format the drive and remove the partitions

My use of the software is generally with a disc in an external enclosure, most recently I used it to partition a small SSD to use with a raspberry pi music system I put together. The live version essentially boots a lite version of Linux So it supports most formats you'd likely need.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom