How to delete HDD Partition maps (MAC)?

Gaslight

This is probably a very amateur question but I am having trouble formatting a 3.5" HDD

Its a NAS drive, which ended up with problems after a power cut from the recent storm. I wanted to try and format it to see if I could get it to work before committing to purchasing a new unit. On the NAS it showed as IO errors, and its been stated online to try an external format and then reinsert it 50/50 it may work.

However, I cant seem to delete the partition maps, or change them or anything. I presume it would be advisable to do this before reinserting the drive to begin its RAID rebuild which is automatic on my QNAP.

Any advice would be welcomed!

hdd.png

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Does GParted run on a MAC...? That can nuke almost anything (and it understands a lot of DOS formats.)

I'm a little skeptical that reformatting a drive will "fix" IO errors. Of course, it depends exactly which IO errors are manifesting, but formatting is a about the organisation of the data on the platter, not about hardware issues, corrupt sectors and so on.

A so-called "low level format" might go through the disc and check each sector thence avoid any bad ones. Though that will take ages to run. Other than that, I tend to think reformatting is "obscuring" the problem rather than "fixing" it and it'll only be a matter of time before you are reaching for the credit card anyway.

If it offers them, it might be worthwhile looking at the S.M.A.R.T. statistics/diagnostics on the drive and see what they reveal - though they can be a whole load of no fun to interpret.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Does GParted run on a MAC...?
The OP has also posted in the Apple forum where I've suggested the same thing. I personally use GpartedLive either on disc or a bootable USB on my Intel Macs, not an option with an M1 Mac though I think.

Gaslight

Does GParted run on a MAC...? That can nuke almost anything (and it understands a lot of DOS formats.)

I'm a little skeptical that reformatting a drive will "fix" IO errors. Of course, it depends exactly which IO errors are manifesting, but formatting is a about the organisation of the data on the platter, not about hardware issues, corrupt sectors and so on.

A so-called "low level format" might go through the disc and check each sector thence avoid any bad ones. Though that will take ages to run. Other than that, I tend to think reformatting is "obscuring" the problem rather than "fixing" it and it'll only be a matter of time before you are reaching for the credit card anyway.

If it offers them, it might be worthwhile looking at the S.M.A.R.T. statistics/diagnostics on the drive and see what they reveal - though they can be a whole load of no fun to interpret.

Thanks, I was suspecting this, I just wanted to have covered all bases before buying a new drive. I dislike spending money as much as I dislike landfilling electronics!

Smart scan gets to 90% on the NAS but then wont go any further

I will investiage the Gparted as I have an Intel Macbook

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom