How to deal with this scenario?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,803
    • 1 Philips video sender takes the Sky+ signal upstairs to 1 bedroom
    • 1 Philips video sends the multi-room box signal upstairs to another bedroom
    • Wireless network interferes with video senders on certain channels
    • Xbox 360 interferes with video senders. Have to switch it off at the wall to kill the signal at night
    • Wireless doorbell ran batteries down so we had to change it to an electrical socket plug-in receiver type
    • Nintendo DSs also wireless
    • Not enough phone points around the house
    • Reluctant to lay new cable throughout house

Our house is a wireless nightmare. We could dig holes in all the walls and lay cable round to every room but that would require repaining the entire house after the walls had been plastered up. The wife would strangle me if I even suggested this.

Is there a way to use the mains wiring instead of the video senders to transfer the signal from both Sky boxes independantly round the house? (With remote control functionality of course).
    Have considered using severa Homeplugs instead of the wireless network.
    What would you suggest?

2. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    RF or even AV over mains is one thing I have never seen done tbh stuart.

An alternative would be to actually wire the sky boxes on coaxes arround the outside of the house, or if you want composite or component then external grade cat5e would work well.

That should then free up some space in the 2.4Ghz wireless band for you and give you less interference