How to crop a fixed size area from an image using Lightroom ?

shotokan101

Ex Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows how to crop a fixed size are from a nimage using Lightroom ?

I can't see a way to - for example - grab a 1000x1000 section - it all seems to be aimed at output print aspect ratio cropping but I'm sure I'm probably just missing it :blush:

Jim

Thanks - I'll check that out :)

crops_and_dimensions.jpg

That's definitely much better - unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy way to select a precise crop area - only dragging the crop corners etc. but at least you end up with a fixed known crop area - thanks :)

Jim

Photoshop tbh Jim. ;)

Yeah - just annoying to have to use an external program for something so simple - I was just wondering if I had missed something obvious :)

To take fixed size pieces, in photoshop I'd use either the marquee tool or slice tool.
Done a quick google but still not sure though if light room has these tools.

Using your example (1000x1000 pix) I would switch the aspect ratio to 1x1, set the crop on the area you require then export using the long edge specified at 1000 pix. Job done.

Using your example (1000x1000 pix) I would switch the aspect ratio to 1x1, set the crop on the area you require then export using the long edge specified at 1000 pix. Job done.

The (remaining) problem is that you cannot set the crop area precisely - you cannot enter it numerically (at least as far as I can see so far) only by dragging the crop box corners/edges which is quite imprecise.... and the method you suggest will resiut in whatever crop size you actually select being resized to fit the long edge dimensions you specify...

You can enter a custom AR in the crop tool. Work out what it is based on the final output size, then the crop tool will give you the correct AR, you then just put in the actual dimensions in pixels, mm or inches etc when you export.

Sorry if im not quite understanding what you are trying to achieve here.

Last edited:
Oh wait, i get it now. You only want to crop by pixel size not AR as such.

Is this any good Jim?
robcole.com - Xmp Crop

Yep - want to be able to - for example - crop a 700x700 pixel area at original resolution and output at 1:1 AR - everything is fine except for being able to crop the original size accurately :)

Oh wait, i get it now. You only want to crop by pixel size not AR as such.

Is this any good Jim?
robcole.com - Xmp Crop

I'll habve a look at that pluging tonight Dave - looks useful - not sure about the fact that it (appears?) to only work on the original image and not virtual copies ? - if that's true then it severely limits the usefulness - unless I'm misinterpreting of course :)

Can i ask what it is you are trying to do in such a specific way? I get what you want to do but why this way?

Can i ask what it is you are trying to do in such a specific way? I get what you want to do but why this way?

Initial idea was for full-size detail crop area for lens comparisons.

Jim

Ah, i thought it was.

Only thing i can think of is maybe use the crop overlay tool set to the grid with the most lines, and go by the these. There seems to be certain points where the grid changes. If you take note of that it might help get consistent sized crops. Then output them without any resizing. Thats what ive done in the past.

Thanks Dave - I appreciate that it's probably not something that most folk will be doing but I just found it odd that you couldn't - if you know what I mean ?

Jim

Yep, it does seem strange. Maybe it because its all non destructive. The cropping only actually happens when you export, and thats where you can enter the dimensions for the final image.

One thing I have trouble with in Lightroom is sizing against the original image. What I mean is, given a landscape image, if I want to crop to a particular ratio (say 3:2) in portrait, Lightroom assumes my fixed 3:2 is against the long and short sides, i.e. in landscape. To crop in portrait, it has to be without locked ratios. Obviously the same happens trying to crop a landscape portion out of a portrait original. I hope that made sense, it's quite hard to describe :)

Any takers ?

One thing I have trouble with in Lightroom is sizing against the original image. What I mean is, given a landscape image, if I want to crop to a particular ratio (say 3:2) in portrait, Lightroom assumes my fixed 3:2 is against the long and short sides, i.e. in landscape. To crop in portrait, it has to be without locked ratios. Obviously the same happens trying to crop a landscape portion out of a portrait original. I hope that made sense, it's quite hard to describe :)

Any takers ?

Just a guess as I don't have access to LR at the moment to try but is this not maybe one of those situations where you need to drag the corner of the crop area completely down diagonally (if that makes sense) to force the crop box into portrait orientation first ?

Jim

As Jim says, or even easier just press X on the keyboard and LR will rote the cropping area, while keeping the AR.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom