Quantcast

how to create a back up copy from a dvd ram

Kba11

Standard Member
Does anyone know. Ive previously saved all my footage to the dvd ram disks but I now realise they are my only copy so I want to create a copy. However, when ive put the disks into my PC it doesnt recognise them. How can I create copies?

Thanks

Bobdk

Not all drives will recognise DVDRAM so you will need to find someone that has a compatible drive, or buy one yourself. How did you manage to write them if you now can't read them? If you can't read them can you be sure the footage is safely copied onto them?

senu

Distinguished Member
Possibly on a dvd recorder that can use ram discs:)
Or a DVD camcorder with ability to record on DVD RAM discs.
While you can edit on the discs , and they are more reusable ( though delicate) than DVD -RW, they are broadly incompatible with most DVD playback drives
The good news is that RAM discs can be duplicated onto Normal disc or HDD but you will need a drive that can read them
Most
LGs drives can and you will either need to get one, Internal or external USB ( retailing now at PC World for £35)
or
find a friend whose PC has one and make duplicated onto Normal discs
I too have some RAM discs off an old Panasonic DVD recorder but as I also have an External LG Drive which reads RAM discs

Kba11

Standard Member
I blame my husband entirely:) he told me to use them.

I copied onto them by transfering from video camera to our recordable DVD player on the RAM disk.

Would it work if I transfered everything from the ram disks to the recordable dvd's hard drive and then on to a normal disk??

Mr Lazy

Novice Member
Would it work if I transfered everything from the ram disks to the recordable dvd's hard drive and then on to a normal disk??
This should work yes. Hopefully your DVD recorder will just see the DVD RAM as a DVD-Video (ie. just like a film, presumably it created it with menus?) and copy it as such.

I word recommend using Verbatim DVD-R or DVD+R disks (depending which your recorder supports, possibly both).

However, is your camcorder MiniDV? If yes, do you have the original tapes? If so I would recommend transfering the video to PC (via Firewire) then burning to DVD, you will get slightly better picture quality this way and the whole path is digital. Failing that you could transfer camcorder -> DVD recorder (again via Firewire if your recorder has it) as again I suspect you will get better quality video.

senu

Distinguished Member
I blame my husband entirely:) he told me to use them.
Of course.. it had to be him:rolleyes:!:laugh:

Absolutely
And thereafter keep the RAM discs.. they will soon become collectors items.. or not:zonked:

Top Bottom