1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to copy videos from Sony HC18 to PC?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Dumdidum, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Dumdidum

Dumdidum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I have bought a Sony HC19E (Which is the same as the HC18 but with 20x zoom) and I have installed the drivers/applications from the cd...

But now I do not know how exactly I can take the whole miniDV-Tape to a folder on my PC...

There is a USB Streaming...

The whole Sony Application Suite is named "Picture Package" and is mainly for Pictures (But I have a movie device?!)

I'm really confused, isn't it possible to directly read the miniDV from Adobe Premiere?!

Thanks

Sven

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes we all do it all the time - but you need to use a firewire (aka i-link , IEEE1394, DV-port) cable and a firewire port on your PC - then it's the proverbial "piece of cake"

If you PC does not have a firewire port you can get a card complete with cable for less than £15 - fitting is again "a piece of cake"

A typical card and cable can be found HERE

3. ritealoser007

ritealoser007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no firewire and I need to get this edited in 2 days. I have a cable that goes usb from the cam to the usb to computer. I plug it in, but it does nothing. I downloaded several drivers and still nothing. Any ideas?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Yep, chuck the USB cable in the bin!!!
    You will never get full quality video from your cam onto a PC via USB, or even USB2.0 as it is just not up to the job. The only way is as previously stated, by firewire. So you do need to get a firewire card and cable.

Mark.

5. Bigfathoss

Bigfathoss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading your comments guys I am purchasing a Belkin IEEE 1394 FireWire 2-Port PCI Card (£27 from e-buyer) and a Belkin IEEE 1394 FireWire Cable (6-pin/4-pin) 4m (£10 from same)
    Does that sound like a good idea?

Also, I don't have any software installed that doesn't come with the basic XP Home. What is the cheapest appropriate software that I will need?

Cheers all.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    The firewire card sounds fine, however you may have problems with the cable as it is recommended to stick to a max length of 1.8m for video capture. Try it, it may well be fine though.
    Movie Maker that is part of XP install is a great program for getting started. full help with useing it can be found Here. If you want to create a DVD then you will need to get other software to do this.

Mark.