• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to copy to PS3 from the PC using Media Server Wirelessly?

simplyme

Established Member
Hi,

So once you have copied all your music to the PS3s HDD using PS3 Media Server (which I have done by pressing triangle on the folder and selecting copy...), how can I copy updated tracks over to the PS3 without having to re-copy the entire folder?

Is the PS3 smart, in that if I add new tracks to my folder 'music' and then press copy on this it will only copy the new material - or will it try to copy the entire folder again?

Thanks

Last edited:

Axum

Distinguished Member
I bet it will try and copy everything over again, you may get an "Overwrite" warning, doubt it though but can't answer for sure..

One of my main gripes, whilst not a big one, is it's seeming ease of duplicating files, e.g. stuff downloaded from the PSN store, it would be good if it told you that you'd already got the file on the HDD, can't believe it doesn't do this...

muckybucket

Established Member
Why not simply stream, will always be up to date then...

muckybucket

Established Member
Yeah, get that. Can the PS3 play files from an external drive, plugged in through USB?

muckybucket

Established Member
Sorry to stray from the thread - does the drive have to be formatted in a particular way to work, as FAT32? Didn't think the PS3 could read NTFS drives...

simplyme

Established Member
Hmmm...
I don't see how the PS3 is raved as such an amazing media device!!? If I need the PC on EVERY time I need to listen to a song I may as well just listen to it on the PC (but I don't want to. I want to listen to it on the damn TV). Not to mention the power usage... having the PC and PS3 on simultaneously is a bit of a chore...

So every time I download a new song to my PC I need to set up a new folder so I can copy it over to my PS3 to avoid having to duplicate my music folder. This kind of sucks.

Axum

Distinguished Member
Well you could just use an external HDD or a NAS.

It's the same with EVERY streamer, you'll still need something (i.e. an HDD, some kind of source) connected all the time. The advantage with other streamers is they natively support MORE file formats.......but they don't play games ;)

You could always just use Vidzone on the PS3 as well...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom