1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to copy part of a DVD.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thebirdman1, Dec 27, 2002.

1. thebirdman1

thebirdman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi: I tried to burn too much video on a DVD-R, so it did not "close" properly. I thought the entire disk was ruined, but I discovered that almost all of the video plays correctly. However, when it gets to the end of the disc, it hangs up. I want to copy the first 90% of the disc and correct the close out problem. How do you copy a portion of a DVD to another disc?

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,412
    What sort of DVD do you want to copy and why?

3. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not quite sure I understand your problem!! When you say the DVD-R won't "close" properly do you mean it won't finalize or just sticks at a certain point. It's happened to me more times than I like to think.

If you can "Finalize" the faulty recording then the solution is easy. Put it in a DVD player and copy what will playback to another disc pausing before the problem point.

If the disc won't finalize then the only option is a second recorder that will play the unfinalized disc. Beg one,borrow one or buy one..:D :D :D Or perhaps as its xmas I have drunk to much to understand what you want to do.....

4. thebirdman1

thebirdman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys:

Thanks for the replies. I copied the orginal video to a DVD-R disc. Since I have a Sony DRU-500a, I can (and want to) copy it to a DVD+R disc. The problem is the original disc is completely full, and has no room for the "closing" statements on the disc (thus the original error). I have "My Home Movie Part I," and 10 minutes of "My Home Movie Part II" on the original DVD-R disc. I just want to copy "Part I" to another disc. However, I can't copy any of the disc, because I get read errors when trying to copy it. (For some strange reason, it will play fine up until the last frame of video, but I can't make a copy of the disk without errors...)

I am using Pinnacle Systems Studio 8.5.5 as the editing, rendering, and DVD burning software. I have not figured out if I can play the original DVD back on the Studio software in order to re-burn it, sans Part II. I imagine I can copy the files off of the original "Part I" and re-burn them to another DVD, but I don't know what or which files those are, or how to do that...

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  6. thebirdman1

thebirdman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Malcom, I'll check out those sites.