How To Copy old PS3 hard drrive to new one.

Towner

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably a basic question but just got a 160gb for the boy for xmas and I need to dump the original 40 gb hard drive contents on to the new one. Any ideas how to do this easily!!!! Thankyou.

Do you mean a new 160gb HDD ? If you mean a new console then as soon as you put the HDD in it'll want to format it.

You'll need to backup the contents of the drive using the original console, then restore onto the new console, but you'll lose some things, not sure what.....or you can try and use the Data Transfer Utility connecting both old and new consoles together.

So Axum, bit vague with my request. I have a 40 gb ps3 that i am replacing with a 160gb slim ps3 and I would like to have all that is on my existing hard drive transfered to the new 160gb ps3 so that all mine and the boys game saves are on it. Can this be done as simply as connecting a usb cable between the two? Merry Xmas!

Its Ethernet cable you use I did it today :)

Turn of all network settings and Internet connection to off on both PS3's. Use a Ethernet cable.

Thanks guys. Which exact option do you go to as I would like everything from the old hard drive transferred over? Do you need both ps3's connected to differant screens or just the one? Thanks again.

That was very clever! Will have to learn how to do that when I have mastered transferring data!
If everyone used google like that for questions, what would be the point of having a forum.......!!
Thank you though, don't forget goodwill to all men.

Remember to deactivate the old console.

You can use one screen to do it. Console "A" will be on one AV channel, console "B" on another.

This video does a step by step guide

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom