1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to copy my home movie DVDs ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Groundhog, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Groundhog

Groundhog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Hi Guys, This is my first post on this really useful forum .Seems a great balance of real experts and newbies (like myself ) . Hope you can help with my problem.

After the the excitement of the festive season ,I had a day or so to recover and was looking for nice easy indoor job. So I thought I'd transfer all my old VHS home movies onto DVD. Using a Liteon 5005 (yep, I got one when they were £119 in Argos :) )I managed to produce 3 disks full of Spielberg quality epics that would be treasured by my family generations to come...well maybe! :laugh:

The problem I have is making a copy of the disks to give to the kids to keep , so they can remember what dad looked like when he had a '80s moustache and hair worthy of of a '60 Rock star.

I tried a straight DVD copy using Nero 6 ,but it got an error 'can only copy the first track' ...or something like that . The disk doesn't seem to have usual audio_ts/video_ts structure. Is there any existing post you can point me too , or is this the first time anyone's had this problem?

tks

Groundhog

2. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    What format did you record in, VR or VIDEO mode,does this recorder use -r/-rw?
    Did you finalize the disc before you removed it from the 5005?

3. Groundhog

Groundhog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Johnnie , thanks for the rapid response :thumbsup:

The recorder is happy +/- r and rw, but I used -r as they were buy 10 get 10 free at Tesco :)

THe disc finalised ok and will play in any of the three DVD players in the house.

My DVD drive in the PC is a Pioneer A106 which handles pretty much all formats. I can analyse the contents of the disc thru Nero and it shows as having 5 tracks in data mode 1. in a single session. Using Windows Explorer there are 2 directories on the disc Video_RM and Video_TS. I think this may be the problem.

Sorry Johnnie :blush: not sure what you mean by "...What format did you record in, VR or VIDEO mode..." . I recorded as I would a TV Programme but selected 'scart 1 ' as the source. Am I right in thinking that this why I've got the _RM files :confused:

Ta
    Groundhog

4. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You could try using TMPGenc DVD Author, it's very easy to use, basically you just create a new project, import the .vob files from the video_ts folder and then create a menu if you want one.
    Then you just wait for the programto do it's thing and use the built-in burner to create your disc.
    The problems you're having must be to do with the .ifo and .bup files that are normally in the video_ts folder with the .vob files, for some reason your recorder doesn't create the normal dvd folders, I believe philips recorders are the same.

5. Groundhog

Groundhog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: Thanks Johnnie , problem solved :clap:

Downloaded TMPGenc and it's just what was needed .

My videographic works of art will be preserved for posterity.........not sure if that's a good thing or not :laugh:

Cheers Mate

Tony
    (groundhog)

6. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    no probs ;)

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Just for reference if you after making backups of your (own!) non-protected DVDs then I have written a brief guide here - as well as providing basic backup/storage info.