• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to convert Martin Audio AQ8 speakers into non 100v

djmarkhill

Standard Member
Hi all

I've acquired some awesome sounding Martin audio aq8 speakers, I've quickly tested tested them on a normal amp and they sound fantastic. I am under the impression that they could be damaged if used continuously like this. Is there a way of converting them for normal use (removal of transformer) without loss of sound quality. Also is there anywhere that supplies the cabinets as they are in need of a bit of tlc.

Thank you

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
First, are you sure they are 100v line speakers?

Look at the speaker at the top of the page in this link -

Name: E.L.C. East London Components 100V LINE CEILING SPEAKER

Notice the BLUE Transformer on it. That is what converts it from a normal speaker to a 100v line speaker. The Transformer should have little or no effect on the sound quality. It is even possible that the speaker will sound better without the transformer. Though I can't guarantee that.

Next are you really and truly sure these are 100v line speakers. The references I'm finding indicate they are a standard passive 8 ohm speaker -

Professional Loudspeaker Systems. Martin Audio Ltd.

Is it possible that someone has added the 100v Line Transformer to these passive speakers?

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

djmarkhill

Standard Member
Many thanks for your reply Steve, it seems I may have been misinformed, these don't appear to have a transformer as you identified.
I'll continue to use these as is after abit of a revamp.

Thanks Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom