How to connect ?

Jay_uk_

Standard Member
Hi all, i have a Yamaha DSP-AX763.

And was woundering how to connect my PS3 and XBOX 360 to it so i get full surround sound with both, and HD surround with the blu rays.

Is it possible to use HDMI from PS3 to yamaha, and
Digital Optical from Xbox to yamaha.

then how do i go about delivering the picture to the tv? My samsung only has one HDMI input.

Sorry im such a noob, thanks!

davepuma

Distinguished Member
If you have one of the newer Xbox 360's with HDMI? I'm pretty sure they pass DD5.1 over HDMI. If not use component/VGA plus separate optical cable. The Yamaha 763 will also upconvert this component video input (see table in manual re. video conversion) to HDMI. VGA would have to be connected direct to the TV if you choose to use it for the 360 as amps do not support VGA. You will use the amp as an HDMI switch i.e. 2 inputs, 1 output. This single HDMI output will go to the TV so you use one AV channel for all external equipment providing it's routed via the amp (video).

There is a thread in the Onkyo owners forum detailing the settings for the PS3 to achieve HD audio. It's applicable to all amps. Basically the PS3 must be set to HDMI for audio and then LCPM.

Last edited:
The XBox360 does indeed pass 5.1 thru HDMI, no need for optical if the Yamaha can extract sound from HDMI.

Jay_uk_

Standard Member
Yea the xbox is the elite so has the HDMI.

So basically what your saying is i connect both my Xbox 360 and PS3 to the Yamaha via 2 HDMI cables.

Then run 1 HDMI from the Yamaha to the TV.

?

EDIT: Also when you said LCPM, did you mean Linear PCM (then choose my channel eg. 5.1) ?

Last edited:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
So basically what your saying is i connect both my Xbox 360 and PS3 to the Yamaha via 2 HDMI cables.

Then run 1 HDMI from the Yamaha to the TV.

That's correct.

Another side issue, i actually bought a rather expensive QED Digital Optical cable, and was wounder what use, if any, it could have?

You could use it for when/if you upgrade to sky hd. Alternatively you could use it with the PS3 in addition to HDMI. Some people report better sq when bitstreaming DD5.1/DTS (standard surround sound formats) to the amp. Personally I would just forget about it.

Also when you said LCPM, did you mean Linear PCM (then choose my channel eg. 5.1) ?

LPCM is the decoded (uncompressed) audio stream output from the player. You set the PS3 up as per the sticky thread and then select the relevant audio soundtrack on the disc before hitting the play button. The amp simply processes and amplifies the multi-channel (LPCM) audio stream.

Jay_uk_

Standard Member
You sir, are very helpful :thumbsup:

Thanks alot!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom