1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to connect?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by ChrisA, May 20, 2004.

1. ChrisA

ChrisA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my stereo listening pleasure and was very interested in a headphone amp (to use alongside some Grado's probably) but I'm confused about their connection. I read somewhere that the headphone amp is connected to a tape loop. If this is so do you not hear a combined effect from the main amp and that of the headphone amp in terms of gain, sound degradation etc? Should the HP amp be used stand alone as any other "normal" amp, with the source and output connected directly? If the latter is true, how do you get on with connections say from a CD player? Y splitter into amp and HP amp?

Yours,

confused of Suffolk! :confused:

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Headphone amps are ideally driven directly from the source (e.g. a CD player) - they accept the same kind of input as a pre-amp or integrated amp does.

The reason why connecting it to the tape outputs of a pre-amp/integrated amp might be useful is that many headphone amps only have one or two sets of inputs, while many people have more than two sources. Using the tape output allows you to continue to use the pre-amp/integrated amp as a switching device, and ensures that what's coming out of the headphones is from the same source as what's going to the speakers.

Tape outputs (unlike pre-amp outputs) should be at a volume that is not affected by the pre-amp/integrated volume control. There may or may not be a perceptible drop in sound quality between pre-amp inputs and tape outputs. In theory there ought not to be, but the connection between the two is rarely completely passive (direct).

So if switching is not an issue, then connecting directly to the source is the best option.

3. kgulls

kgulls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If using a dedicated headphone amp for listening to cds and/or music dvd what difference is there likely to be soundwise between,say a cheap cd player or dvd as compared to a player costing £1000 or so?
    Since the connection is likely to be from player to hdphn amp via line-out,would the sound quality be noticable?