How to connect UHD player to Stereo amp with RCA cable

Scotty Pro

Prominent Member
Reaction score
OK, I want to connect my Sony UHD X800 player to my amp to play CD's. My amp does not have a digital input, its a Cambridge Audio A1 Mk 3 which is used at the moment for playing vinyl from my Pro-ject Essential III.

Question is, are there any cables I can get that with have a coaxial plug on one end and two phono plugs on the other end to connect to the CD input on my amp, or am I waisting my time with that method.

You will need a standalone DAC to convert the digital signal from the coax cable to analogue. Something like the link below which I have attached for information rather than recommendation. External stand alone DACs vary greatly in price and quality.

Amazon product ASIN B005HFTUO0

A DAC of some sort is what you require. A mate is using one of these for his TV through a stereo amp and it sounds OK

Amazon product ASIN B071WLVXN5
If you can stretch a little further the the Topping E30 is getting rave reviews on here

thanks for the links gibbsy and Jamie. Is there any advantage to a higher priced one compared to a cheap one. Seems like a daft question I know as cheap means crap parts and Chinese build, but having looked on Amazon there is a big difference. If the signal is just going to stereo speakers will I need an expensive DAC or will a one like your suggestions make do. Don't want to have a crappy sound if I can help it.

I've never used a standalone DAC so will leave recommendations to others but the Topping does indeed get good write ups.

I've never used a standalone DAC so will leave recommendations to others but the Topping does indeed get good write ups.
Just had a look at the price of that and it is a bit over budget, might as well put the extra and get an amplifier with an optical input, my Cambridge Audio A1 is getting on a bit now, could sell it on and put money towards a new one.

Would make sense. Budget and what speakers will it be driving. Do you need a dedicated sub pre-out as well.

There will be differences but you’ll probably never know until you compare some so you should be alright to buy something relatively affordable in the first instance. If you can stretch to it you could go for the cheaper one above and something like the E30 and try both. See if you think the E30 is worth the extra money and send the other one back. If it’s not send the E30 back.

I’ve recently acquired a Schiit Bifrost. I have this hooked up between a streamer and AV receiver. I think it adds value in this way but possibly takes away when using with an amp plus streamer and not the AV receiver.

I’m guessing that you have a TV close by so you could run that in to a DAC and benefit in that way as well unless you already have an AVR and are looking to utilise the Amp for music listening only.

One of the biggest differences I ever heard (never had vinyl) was moving from a lesser streaming device (Amazon echo spot / Arcam mini link, using its own DAC) plugged in via RCA to amp to a Dedicated digital streamer with internal DAC. Adding and external DAC in my instance brought about a noticeable change in how the sound is delivered. I haven’t had it that long so still experimenting at the moment.

thanks guys, think I should elaborate a bit more. I have Dali speakers connected to the CA amp and solely listen to Vinyl through that. All I want is to play my CD's via my Sony UHD player to the Dali speakers, saves buying a separate CD player. My TV is set up as I want via a Sony Atmos Soundbar, so that is sorted, all I want is sound from the Sony UHD player to the speakers but not through the soundbar as that is not as good as the Dali's

You've got an Oppo 103 listed in your signature. Better CD spinner than the Sony and has analogue out.

You've got an Oppo 103 listed in your signature. Better CD spinner than the Sony and has analogue out.
Need to change that as I do not have the Oppo any more.

I use a standalone CD player as well as a 4K player but I do run two separate systems with a HT by-pass amp for music. CD player get a lot more use than the 4K player. You can pick up some good players from the classifieds. The Marantz players are very reliable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom