How to connect two active / powered speakers for stereo sound

beginner2021

Novice Member
If I am to use two separate active / powered speakers but would want to connect them together from one single source of music (via phone or table) and also to play movie.

Is there anyway to setup the connection so that I can get left / right stereo sound for each speaker?
The powered speaker has input for RCA as well as Aux (3.5mm jack).
So which input should be used on the speaker in such setup?

And a simple stereo splitter cable (if there is any such thing) can do the trick?

Any compromise in sound quality in terms of signal distortions?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
make and model would help greatly please.

beginner2021

Novice Member
make and model would help greatly please.

Actually its a Marshall Stanmore 2 bluetooth only model. My brother gave it to me because he is going to upgrade to hifi stuff.
It sound alright to me, but I thought if there is a pair in stereo, it might sound better for movie and music. I am considering to buy another unit.
I am aware that Marshall has the app that allows speaking pairing for stereo mode.

The reason I am looking at physical wired connections for speaker pairing is because -
  • I do not want to rely on bluetooth for pairing, because it may be unreliable or inconsistent, or may face connectivity issues and so on
  • secondly, for movies, the audio output is coming out from TV via RCA cable, so I am not sure if such output into one of the Marshall speaker can use the function of bluetooth pairing into another Marshall speaker.

So I am trying to understand if, I use cabled connecting to provide stereo output , Left channel to each speaker, right channel to another speaker, would that be workable and give uncompromised result (uncompromised as in consistent signal, and a signal quality that is not distorted).

I wouldn't want to spend money to buy the speaker if I am unsure if the stereo pairing would work.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Looking at the spec it suggests that this speaker has one woofer and two tweeters and also has a stereo rca input at the rear. This suggests that it sums the bass element for the one woofer but separates out the treble element to the two tweeters to provide some sense of stereo image. I guess if you only connected the left or right rca the it may only feed one tweeter, you may have to make sure that you mirror the tweeter being use and experiment if inside or outside tweeter use is best and I wouldn’t hazard to guess if it then would equalise out the bass/treble levels.

However imo this is a bit of a lifestyle sound bar type of speaker for casual listening or for background music, if you want serious stereo listening then a pair of proper active speakers will be much better, for the £250 cost of another Marshall (plus maybe a few £ more) you can get the Adam T5V, Tannoy gold 5 or if you like your bass the M-Audio Bx8 and use your Marshall for kitchen/bedroom etc. music where you can put your phone close by.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom