How to connect to receiver (No Hdmi input)?

smionW

Standard Member
My inlaws have a Harmon Kardon 7300 A Theme Scence Pjojector & 60" plasma

The receiver has no HDMI input only Component video in+out, They want to connect a PS3 for BlueRay and Sky HD to the receiver & have the ablity to choose which display to use the both Plasma & the projector have HDMI/DVI.

I cant work out the best route for this as both Ps3 & SKY HD are HDMI would they need sometype of DAC that can strip the Auido & Video signal? if so what?.

Are they better off sending the audio to the the reveiver via fiber optic and the video to plasma/projector the How can they have the video sent to two displays they will only use one at a time.

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Without getting a new receiver, then they will be best to connect via optical to the amp for audio and then get a HDMI switch/splitter (matrix switch) for the HDMI connections. Ask in the HDMI subforum, for a suitable switch/splitter.

Alun

3 in 2 out HDMI switcher to the PJ and Plasma, audio over optical to the receiver.

SKY HD can output audio over optical and HDMI at the same time.

PS3 cannot.

It will do HDMI audio or optical. so you will need to either keep switching the audio setting, or use amp all the time.

thats a solution for you, but bear in mind that I have no idea what the build quality of the HDMI switch box is like. Bit research there for you!

deadmonkey

It's a little unfortunate to have a lovely expensive receiver, yet it doesn't have any hdmi and they have both two hdmi inputs and two hdmi outputs :thumbsdow

Would there be no value in them seeing what they'd get for their receiver 2nd hand and considering a new one? Just thinking if they could get a few quid for it that might go nicely towards a replacement?

sp_harris

In order to get 2 HDMI outputs you are looking at spending quite a lot - I think high level amps only - e.g. Onkyo 905/6, Denon 4308/9, etc...

Last edited:

petetherock

Hi
I believe the 7300 is a rather decent reciever, you can consider selling it and getting a new amp

OR

what I did -
I like my Marantz SR 12, so I bought a cheap Yamaha 663, used it as a processor, this way I get HDMI, autosetup, decoding of the new formats and I use the fine amps built into my SR 12.

You can source source for a 2nd hand almost new AV amp with HDMI for this. Even those w/o internal decoding are fine since your PS 3 can do so internally.

Cheers

My inlaws have a Harmon Kardon 7300 A Theme Scence Pjojector & 60" plasma

The receiver has no HDMI input only Component video in+out, They want to connect a PS3 for BlueRay and Sky HD to the receiver & have the ablity to choose which display to use the both Plasma & the projector have HDMI/DVI.

I cant work out the best route for this as both Ps3 & SKY HD are HDMI would they need sometype of DAC that can strip the Auido & Video signal? if so what?.

Are they better off sending the audio to the the reveiver via fiber optic and the video to plasma/projector the How can they have the video sent to two displays they will only use one at a time.

deadmonkey

In order to get 2 HDMI outputs you are looking at spending quite a lot - I think high level amps only - e.g. Onkyo 905/6, Denon 4308/9, etc...

True, but once you've got an hdmi capable receiver, there's a few threads on here where people have had success with cheap hdmi splitters feeding out to both tv and projector, indeed that's what I'm planning to do rather than spend a few hundred quid more, as I'm a tightwad.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom