1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to connect to panny?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by UselessPratt, Apr 30, 2003.

1. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, now I am more confused. :confused: Sorry guys, I am new to this, so it is taking time.....ha ha!
    The Panny has a component, s-video and composite.
    If I connect RGB to the component, then I need to also connect the composite to provide a sync. But the problem with this is that it disables the s-video.
    That is not so bad, provided I don't need another input to the plasma. But when I get my dvd with component output, I will naturally want to use the component input on the plasma. The sky box can sod off to the s-video ( assuming i buy the box to convert) . But I guess that normally the component to component is five wire not six?? In other words it frees up the composite to allow the s-video to work??
    How does everyone else do this? I mean without buying the tuner?

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Useless,

Assuming that you have the following devices to connect:

Sky
    Video
    DVD with Component Output

Then the simplest way to set it up is:

Sky Scart -> JS RGB2VGA Convertor -> Plasma PC Input
    Sky Video Scart -> Video Scart In
    Video Out -> Plasma Composite In
    DVD Component Out -> Plasma Component In.

There are other ways, but this will give you the best picture available for each source.

Kind Regards,

James

[EDIT: Don't confuse Scart RGB with Component (YUV), although they can use the same connections on the Panny, they are different! RGB+Composite uses 4 RCA (Phono) connections, YUV uses 3 RCA (Phono) Connections)]

3. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I think all is clear now. Yes, my confusion largely arose because of the differences between RGB and Component and also the fact that the panny over-rides the composite when the s-video is present ( did I say that the right way round?).

It also helps that I just discovered that my current DVD has component out. Ooops. I thought I only had that on the new one ( when it arrives, next month ).

You say to use the PC input for the sky box? Just out of interest, which is the better qaulity, the PC input or the S-Vid?

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi,

I agree with James' cable connections. The RGB to VGA converter will give a better picture as the signal stays as RGB, and not to a combined colour signal like you would get with an S-video signal.

Steve

5. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D
    Thank you all then.....that's what I will do!

6. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    RGB is the best, with component just slightly down. But that's like comparing a Ferrari 550M with an Aston Martin Vanquish.

S-Video is still very good, but if you can then opt for either component or RGB then this is best.

Composite video is what you'd get from a standard VCR. It's how TV is traditionally broadcast, but modern TVs are now able to show the compromises that were made with composite video and is best avoided.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.