1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to connect to panny 6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TazUK, Sep 8, 2003.

1. TazUK

TazUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I'm thinking of getting a new 42" panny 6, but am still undecided as to what boards/connections to use for the various different inputs i have.

I'm currently running all my connections through scart cables into the back of my 28" widescreen. DVD, Gamecube, PS2 and XBOX use RGB into a quintro+ and then into the tv and the NTL and video use seperate scarts into the other two sockets on the TV.

I am thinking of upgrading the DVD and Amp at the same time and would like to make use of as many component sources as I can. The PS2 and XBOX are PAL so I guess I'll have to stay with RGB scart for them, but the Gamecube is US so I can get a component out for that.

Any suggestions as to how to connect these lot?

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    For the sake of ease, all you really need to do is connect the Quintro to the plasma via a scart terminal board, running an analogue audio connection to your amp. Go RGB on the DVD, NTL and all consoles for better signals to start with.

The other side of the coin would be to run everything into an AV amp, preferably one that will automatically convert all the signals up to component (Denon 3803, A1, Pioneer AX10). This will involve getting a RGB-YUV converter for NTL, as well as getting the component cables for consoles etc and a component DVD.

You could of course do a little of both but that does mean a more complex system which very quickly becomes very annoying having to switch sources on the plasma, amp and quintro instead of just one of those.

Nearly all of our customers so far have gone for this kind of thing:

Sky/Cable/Freeview - RGB scart into Quintro
    VCR - SVHS or Composite scart into Quintro
    Games consoles - RGB scart into quintro (or SVHS, or composite!)
    Camcorder - phono's into front of quintro (composite)
    DVD - either RGB scart into Quintro, or composite scart into quintro and component direct into plasma VGA port (for prog scan direct to plasma)

I know some people out there have issues with the scart board... but this really is such an easy way to do it all that any fractional difference in quality introduced by the scart board is hugely outweighed by support for auto-switching, widescreen switching, and multiple signal types into one logical input. Basic prog scan DVD players will not be any better via component than just running RGB scart and relying on the plasma processing, unless it's a real cheapo with a naff scart output!!!

3. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Plus if you stick it all into the Quintro, its one less wire you need to hide running up to the plasma. may or may not be an issue for some, but worth a mention :)

4. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can output component from a uk xbox by purchasing a hi-def kit.......i am told the picture is improved over RGB scart but until i get my panny 6 i cannot promise

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    TazUK

Your choice of AV amp is going to be key to your wiring configuration - something like a Denon AVR-3803 with decent quality YUV switching and video up-conversion for Composite and S-Video is ideal for use with the PW6.

Keep your Game CUBE, PS2, X-Box and NTL as RGB via the Quintro and then use a JS Tech RGB2YUV converter to convert the RGB to YUV.

Then its DVD on YUV (I'm assuming your new DVD will be YUV) into YUV 01 on the amp and the Converted Quintro RGB signal into YUV 02.

Of course for a bit of domestic harmony you may also want to consider having two video inputs on the PW6 to take advantage of the Plasma's 'twin picture mode - if so you may want to take the NTL RGB signal via a second RGB2YUV converter and into an extra YUV board in the display.

You will need to decide if you want to retain the HD15 socket on the PW6 for a PC or not - if not its ideal for inputting a YUV signal; you simply require a YUV cable with HD15 on one end.

Best regards

Joe

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Or... the simple approach!

7. blue_tarragon

blue_tarragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree with Liam here.

Have Sky, CD, DVD, Xbox, PS2 all going into a Quattro+ box via RGB scart then out via RGB scart to Scart terminal board on the Panny 6. Using coaxial and optical cables from devices to a Marantz digi AV amp for all sounds via Bose Acoustimass set up.

Very very good quality and as Liam says, easy to use, supports auto-switching, perfect full picture size automatically etc.