How to connect these speaker cables to a receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Chiz, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Chiz

Chiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello

My girlfriends dad has a TV stand with built in 5.1 speakers.

I'm buying a receiver for him that will get inputs from DVD and Sky HD.

I'll then connect the speakers to the receiver.

The speakers have phono type connections, probably suitable for plugging into really cheap DVD players (and not much else). Picture:

[​IMG]

The other end of the connection is some kind of proprietary connection to the TV stand.

Now I want to get a Sony or Cambridge Audio receiver. I already have the Cambridge Audio one at my home. As you know, the speaker wire is stripped at the end and it is screwed into the speaker outputs.

So what should I do with the phono connectors? Just cut them off and strip the wire? Don't want to try it if it won't work because the company who sold this TV stand - Evesham - has now closed all it's shops and it might prove difficult getting a new cable.

Thanks

2. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    As they have phonos, it would think that the speakers have their own amplification built in to the stand somewhere, meaning that you don't need an Amplifier at all.
    So don't strip them and plug them into an Amp as you will most probably cause some damage.

The problem is that because it has (5.1) 6-channel phonos, then you won't be able to utilize optical (or co-axial) connections from sources such as SkyHD (which only has optical for Dolby Digital); so you'd have to settle with stereo and get some kind of switch / control centre.

Only other solution is to a an AV Receiver and connect the speakers to the pre-outs.

3. Chiz

Chiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks.

Makes sense.

My Cambridge Audio receiver has 6.1 Preamp Out on the rear, which have phono connections.

I think this should work.