• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to connect Subwoofer to Stereo Amp

supremeflava

Novice Member
Hello , I'm really confused how to connect my JBL 140/230 sub to my Technics SB-EH 780
since tech request bi-wiring.. I try to go from Line level in to sub out but it sounds low..
right now i connect high level out wires from sub to amp ( bi-wiring ) but i disable my technics bass cables.. will that do any damage on sound system that i only use hi's and mids from it ? because i don't know other way to play the technics full speakers with the sub

1_1_17167117.jpg sc-eh750_12.jpg

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You should be careful connecting to the speaker outputs, as you could overload the input on the sub. The subwoofer output on the Technics should be connected to the subwoofer input and the gain adjusted.

You can leave the Technics bass speakers connected and connect the sub input to the same terminals at the same time if you need more level. The sub input won't draw any power from the Technics, so it won't affect the bass speakers.

supremeflava

Novice Member
thanks , to go from sub levelIn 2xRca to Technics subwoofer port its single. did i need 2male to 1 male rca ? and why when i go thru cable sub sounds low even on half .. when i go with wires it have more power

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You can turn the sub up as loud as you want, it is an attenuator, not a volume control. A single cable is fine and is all you need.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What is going on with your loudspeaker wiring?

The Sub should be simple LFE RCA Out on the AVR > Sub RCA Input on the Sub - nothing else required!

Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-23 at 22.23.09.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-23 at 22.23.09.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,562

supremeflava

Novice Member
What is going on with your loudspeaker wiring?

The Sub should be simple LFE RCA Out on the AVR > Sub RCA Input on the Sub - nothing else required!

Joe

hey Joe, thats just photo from Internet, because Technics is BI-WIRING, thats the way to connect wires.. I just don't like how SUB sounds on LFE cable , but when i connect it to High Level i get the sound i like but then i leave speakers bass unplugged ( which i read somewhere is not good idea )

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'thats the way to connect wires' - I'll need to take your guidance on that.

'I just don't like how SUB sounds on LFE cable , but when i connect it to High Level i get the sound i like but then i leave speakers bass unplugged ( which i read somewhere is not good idea )' - I think you should start again and stop reading stuff on the web :)

Go with a conventional setup: Add the required 'jumper' cables on the rear of your loudspeakers, add the +/- speaker cable between the AMP and the Front LR Speakers and the LFE RCA to the sub.

Bi-wire - complete waste of time and extra cable!

Joe

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I think these are the bi-amped speakers that Technics did for a while. They need to be bi-wired to work at all.

As I said in my post, you can connect your sub to the biamped bass terminals along with your existing speakers, but be very careful with the gain control on the sub. It's not the best way to connect it and you risk an overload at high levels, but if you prefer the sound, then go for it :)

supremeflava

Novice Member
thanks guys, all that bi-wiring make my setup confused and i sound really noob :) I will leave the bi-wiring of speakers and go with LFE cable just to not make extra risks :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'I think these are the bi-amped speakers that Technics did for a while. They need to be bi-wired to work at all' - had a look at the SC-EH580 manual which seems to have a similar layout.

The spaghetti pic in post #1 seems to have Seven wires not Eight!

Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 20.31.43.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 20.31.43.png
    211.1 KB · Views: 890

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'thats just web photo i found guys :)' - it must have been the worst pic you could find :facepalm: :)

The Connectors on the Amp and Speakers are colour coded so you can't go too far wrong!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom