How to connect sub pre amp to receiver with single pre out?

pjcosta67

Novice Member
I purchased subs that require pre amps.

I had to solder speaker wire to the subs and have a red and black.

my pre amp has red and black inputs., rca style., so my first step is to solder rca plugs onto the two speakers wires to connect to my pre amp ins., correct?

Oddly., my pre amp outs are push and stick red and black clamps for speaker wire .., my receiver has a pre out single rca plug for the sub. (x2)

Can I purchase a rca cable with two raw wire pigtails for the pre amp?

or how should that be done?

Can I use a rca y cable and cut the two finished ends off and stick those wires into my pre amps out then connect the single rca to my receivers pre out sub jack?

or is it a single rca cable on both ends., remove hardware from one end and assuming there are two wires that I then put into the two pre amp outs?

thank you 🙏!!!

Last edited:

pjcosta67

Novice Member
Acoustic Audio 8” Subs x2
Acoustic Audio WS1005 pre amps. X2
Denon AVR-S950H

Last edited:

pjcosta67

Novice Member
Attached pics of both the pre amp and avr

Attachments

• 00682EE9-19AA-463A-A523-477D54CC96D0.jpeg
    00682EE9-19AA-463A-A523-477D54CC96D0.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 6608480D-13DD-4C85-A5CF-8D438982C16C.jpeg
    6608480D-13DD-4C85-A5CF-8D438982C16C.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 55

Jamie

Distinguished Member
It sounds like you're trying the connect the actual speakers to the input which is all kinds of wrong. The RCA sub outputs on your Denon connect to the RCA inputs on the sub amp, the speakers (subs) connect to the speaker terminals on the sub amp.

The amp clearly shows RCA inputs on the sub amp. There's a switch to select LFE and use a single RCA to each sub amp. Luckily your Denon has 2 outputs so you just need 2 single RCA leads or a stereo pair but use one to each amp. All looks straight forward from your attachments.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You have your inputs and outputs mixed up...

Just use an RCA cable from your denon receiver to your sub amp

Connect the speaker to the amplifier terminal spring clips. You will probably end up with the volume quite a long way up, but start gently, so you do not blow anything up with too much volume.

These are not sub preamps, but external power amps. They simply amplify the low power signal from the receiver so it is powerful enough to drive the sub.

pjcosta67

Novice Member
It sounds like you're trying the connect the actual speakers to the input which is all kinds of wrong. The RCA sub outputs on your Denon connect to the RCA inputs on the sub amp, the speakers (subs) connect to the speaker terminals on the sub amp.

The amp clearly shows RCA inputs on the sub amp. There's a switch to select LFE and use a single RCA to each sub amp. Luckily your Denon has 2 outputs so you just need 2 single RCA leads or a stereo pair but use one to each amp. All looks
Yup I have it all backwards., makes more sense now. Thank you!
So I need a rca cable with a male on one end and two males on the other end. Or does it only plug into the ‘lfe’ port?

Last edited:

pjcosta67

Novice Member
You have your inputs and outputs mixed up...

Just use an RCA cable from your denon receiver to your sub amp

Connect the speaker to the amplifier terminal spring clips. You will probably end up with the volume quite a long way up, but start gently, so you do not blow anything up with too much volume.

These are not sub preamps, but external power amps. They simply amplify the low power signal from the receiver so it is powerful enough to drive the sub.
Yup I am mixed up! Makes sense now.., thanks!!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You only need to plug into one of the RCA ports on the sub amplifier. So you can send the signal to both amplifiers without any signal splitting, just send 1 channel to each.

pjcosta67

Novice Member
You only need to plug into one of the RCA ports on the sub amplifier. So you can send the signal to both amplifiers without any signal splitting, just send 1 channel to each.
Ok., so I have 2-subs; 2-sub amps and 2-pre outs on my avr.
Use standard rca sub 1x male/male cable from avr to each sub amp and use the ‘lfe’ port on the sub amp for that single connection., yes?
Bravo!! Cheers!! 👍😁✌️

pjcosta67

Novice Member
Correct and set the switch to LFE and use the settings on the AVR to set crossover frequency.
Thank you!! It all sounds so simple now., I haven’t done anything like this in years and assumed it would be easier than it was or that I made it out to be anyway :) - thank you very much for helping me see the light!!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom